Sony My wife went to New York

damianmkv

Regular
Last year, my wife had a call from a friend who needed to "get away" so said she'd booked to go to NYC for a week. She lives in Australia so that's some get away needed :) anyway, my wife and her friends thought when a friend is in need, we'll answer and booked up.

Now my wife isn't interested in photography at all but wanted to capture the memories with a small camera so I bought her a rx100 m2. Until the morning of the trip, she'd never even looked at it ( nothing like last minute )...anyway, below are a few snaps of the cityscape that is New York

From the Rockefeller

24895380162_9c13f26351_b.jpg
view from the rock
by damianmkv, on Flickr

24368755404_f53eb3c501_b.jpg
new york city at dusk
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Trip to Staten island

24386847753_24f42f4d3d_b.jpg
one world trade center ( explored )
by damianmkv, on Flickr

25101367785_fe46c97562_b.jpg
statue of liberty
by damianmkv, on Flickr

24743230550_143dcb9744_b.jpg
one world trade center
by damianmkv, on Flickr

From the Empire State Building

24441718124_2d871dcaa4_b.jpg
golden delicious
by damianmkv, on Flickr

24920667052_679629d7f5_b.jpg
new york city
by damianmkv, on Flickr

And a 2 shot stitch

24721666430_acf2cecb94_b.jpg
bright lights of the big city
by damianmkv, on Flickr

I might as well give up on photography :) My wife has done a cracking job ( she knows I'm a sucker for cityscapes which is why she took these ) and the rx100 was amazing

Last edited:
A very nice set. I bought my RX100 mk 1 specifically for a trip to New York and took a few of those same images with it. I don't think I could have made a better choice of camera at the time.

-R

This is great! I must show this to my better half, who doesn't like taking photos because cameras are too hard ;)

She did a fantastic job! A natural talent or she looked better at your photos than you thought or both.
Even a panorama shot. So clearly sha also talent to quickly use a camera.

You can do a lot worse than leave an RX100 in iAuto mode all the time. I'm trying to get into the habit of using Aperture Priority mode in sunny weather, just so that I can stop highlights blowing out by reducing the exposure by 0.7EV. I find that helps.

Apart from that, the RX100 generally does a pretty good job of focussing and exposing all on its own.

-R

the ones with the river have had a LR action applied - cant recall which one but they were quite flat SOOC as she was shooting through the boats's windows. "golden delicious" and " new york city" had a bit of a clarity boost

Then just some straightening and cropping

Last edited:
Your wife definitely has an eye for photography!

My wife is not interested in photography, but every time she picks up a camera she takes some beautiful shots. It's a natural talent and I feel a bit jealous sometimes.

Last year, my wife had a call from a friend who needed to "get away" so said she'd booked to go to NYC for a week. She lives in Australia so that's some get away needed :) anyway, my wife and her friends thought when a friend is in need, we'll answer and booked up.

Now my wife isn't interested in photography at all but wanted to capture the memories with a small camera so I bought her a rx100 m2. Until the morning of the trip, she'd never even looked at it ( nothing like last minute )...anyway, below are a few snaps of the cityscape that is New York

From the Rockefeller

View attachment 117099view from the rock by damianmkv, on Flickr

View attachment 117100new york city at dusk by damianmkv, on Flickr

Trip to Staten island

View attachment 117101one world trade center ( explored ) by damianmkv, on Flickr

View attachment 117102statue of liberty by damianmkv, on Flickr

View attachment 117103one world trade center by damianmkv, on Flickr
hi mate
just had a look at your wifes photos , OMG there pritty dam good , very impressed , thank you
From the Empire State Building

View attachment 117104golden delicious by damianmkv, on Flickr

View attachment 117105new york city by damianmkv, on Flickr

And a 2 shot stitch

View attachment 117106bright lights of the big city by damianmkv, on Flickr

I might as well give up on photography :) My wife has done a cracking job ( she knows I'm a sucker for cityscapes which is why she took these ) and the rx100 was amazing

Amazing shots and yet she's not into photography. Imagine how more awesome here photos would be if she took interest.

Thanks for sharing!

Back