Leica My Travel Combo: 28 + 50

Just got back from the U.K. and ended up sneaking the 35mm in my suitcase and actually used it for two of my days there. Most days, I would walk out of the hotel with either the 28 or 50 and not bother changing lenses.

I did carry a small bag with a second lens with me only at Hadrian's Wall, and switched frequently between 28 and 50 at the various Roman ruins.

Some great images there; I love the composition of looking through the guard's legs at the other guard.

28 and 50 is my day to day combination, although when I travel, I like to take in 'everything', so a 21mm replaces the 28, and a fast 35 goes in the middle.

At one stage I liked the idea of having 25mm separating my focal lengths, so I would carry a 25mm, 50mm and 75mm. Seemed like a good idea at the time! 25mm seems right to me for a 'natural' width of view without the perspective distortion that comes with 21.

When travelling I mostly use a 50mm and have the ZM25 2.8 on the Sony A7RII. The good thing about these two bodies is that the Sony can take the M lenses with an adapter. I find the 25mm a bit too wide for me and it has a nasty pink vignette on the M240 but the only 35mm I have is the Voigtlander 1.2 which is rather cumbersome. I bought the Sony FE85 1.4 GM last year for a trip to Italy and it came in rather handy :)

i take the ricoh gr ii in pocket, which is a 28mm equivalent. when travel, i take also the d700 + zf.2 35/2. this is a heavy combo. instead, i may take the d7000 + af35/2d, which is 52.5mm equivalent. this combo is light and compact and autofocus. the af35/2d is very good for sharpness, color, and quick focus speed…