Leica My third lens?

xdayv

Top Veteran
Name
Dave
First it was the 50 Summilux,

then the 28 Summicron...

Now, what's next?

I'm looking at the 90mm. Summarit 2.5 maybe? Is the 90mm really that hard to focus without a magnifier?

Any suggestions?

:confused:

I've been going through the same questions and ultimately ordered the following:

35 Summilux (love this)
50 Summilux (love this)
21mm Color Skopar (just received)
18mm Distagon (en route to me, will sell either this or the Color Skopar)
90mm Summarit (en route to me, hoping to love this)

My debit card is melting. Wife surprisingly understanding so far...

then the 28 Summicron...

Now, what's next?

I'm looking at the 90mm. Summarit 2.5 maybe? Is the 90mm really that hard to focus without a magnifier?

Any suggestions?

As long as your rangefinder is in alignment it will be fine. 90mm at f/2.5 has almost the same depth of field as 50mm at f/1.4, so if you can focus your 50 LUX wide-open, you can focus the 90 Summarit as well.

For what its worth, the 90 Summarit is a fantastic lens. I don't shoot 90mm very often, but of all of my lenses, this one probably has the highest proportion of keepers. I think its because I only bother carrying it when after something specific, and I tend to really take my time when shooting it. The lens renders beautifully and has lovely bokeh in both the foreground and the background. Its also very resistant to flare, about equal in that regard to the 35 Summarit (another outstanding lens).

I've been going through the same questions and ultimately ordered the following:

35 Summilux (love this)
50 Summilux (love this)

You have a great wife!!!!

I have no issue focusing my 90. I have a 90mm APO Summicron that I usually shoot wide open. It is a very nice lens but I do not use it much. I prefer the 75mm more than the 90mm. In case you decide to go with a 90mm APO, let me know. I will off load this at a great price.

You should not have any trouble with a 90/2.5.

I do find using the 1.25x finder makes using the 85/2 and 105/2.5 faster. I've used the 105/2.5 on my M Monochrom more than any other telephoto lens.

35 Summilux (love this)
50 Summilux (love this)

When will your Summarit be arriving? I'll wait for your thoughts. On the wider end, I've been eyeing the 21 Super Elmar, but for now, the 28 Cron will suffice!

As long as your rangefinder is in alignment it will be fine. 90mm at f/2.5 has almost the same depth of field as 50mm at f/1.4, so if you can focus your 50 LUX wide-open, you can focus the 90 Summarit as well.

For what its worth, the 90 Summarit is a fantastic lens. I don't shoot 90mm very often, but of all of my lenses, this one probably has the highest proportion of keepers. I think its because I only bother carrying it when after something specific, and I tend to really take my time when shooting it. The lens renders beautifully and has lovely bokeh in both the foreground and the background. Its also very resistant to flare, about equal in that regard to the 35 Summarit (another outstanding lens).

You should not have any trouble with a 90/2.5.

I do find using the 1.25x finder makes using the 85/2 and 105/2.5 faster. I've used the 105/2.5 on my M Monochrom more than any other telephoto lens.

Thanks guys for the input. It will help in my decision. I have some spare change from the proceeeds from the sale of my old Nikon stuffs, they have already have their fair share of use for many years, time to let go. So I'm in the quandry of either getting something for the Micro 4/3s, DSLR or the RF. Somehow, I'm ending up with a 90mm for the RF. :eek:

I have no issue focusing my 90. I have a 90mm APO Summicron that I usually shoot wide open. It is a very nice lens but I do not use it much. I prefer the 75mm more than the 90mm. In case you decide to go with a 90mm APO, let me know. I will off load this at a great price.

Vince, hhhmmm, PM me the details if you don't mind. Although I'm almost certain I can't afford it as of now, as just mentioned, I only have the extra $$ from the proceeds of my old Nikon stuffs, but not much to reach the 90 Cron price.

35 Summilux (love this)
50 Summilux (love this)

If you substitute the 21mm Color Skopar with a 24mm Elmar M, you end up with my current M lens lineup (well, except for the extra 35s and 50s). I guarantee you will love both the 18mm Distagon and the 90mm Summarit.

Cheers,

Antonio

If you substitute the 21mm Color Skopar with a 24mm Elmar M, you end up with my current M lens lineup (well, except for the extra 35s and 50s). I guarantee you will love both the 18mm Distagon and the 90mm Summarit.

Cheers,

Antonio

I love the 24 Elmar-M. Razor sharp from wide-open, corner-to-corner. It just doesn't get any better.

When will your Summarit be arriving? I'll wait for your thoughts. On the wider end, I've been eyeing the 21 Super Elmar, but for now, the 28 Cron will suffice!

Summarit should be here tomorrow or the following day. Will post some impressions and samples asap.

Thanks, Antonio, I noticed that I was following in your footsteps on a few of these. Your showcase threads helped me choose the Distagon and Summarit :friends:. Do you use the Elmar M often? I am hoping that I won't feel the need for anything between 18mm and 35mm, but it is a pretty wide gap I suppose.

Do you use the Elmar M often? I am hoping that I won't feel the need for anything between 18mm and 35mm, but it is a pretty wide gap I suppose.

I do actually, more than the 18mm in fact. I find that 24mm is a very useful focal length, particularly for street and urban shooting.

It´s a terrific lens and surprisingly compact. But then, I have yet to find a Leica lens I didn't like... :)

Cheers,

Antonio

Update: I probably will go for it, my supplier did send me a good deal, below the current SRP level... I was weighing this against the other 2 "heavyweights" (on almost same price range give or take) - the Panasonic Leica 42.5mm 1.2 (Micro 4/3s) and the Nikkor AFS 58mm 1.4 (aka Noct). I don't know if I made the right decision, well... c'est la vie. :rolleyes:

How is this compared to the 21 SEM? Any thoughts.

I haven't tried the 21. I don't own a 28, so went right to 24 as a complement to my 35. Likewise since I've settled on the 24, I don't see much use for a 21 and will go right to an 18. Currently I use 24/35/50 as my travel kit, but I did wish to go wider a few times in Austria.

then the 28 Summicron...

Now, what's next?

Any suggestions?

I have a 90mm Summarit. Good and relatively compact and focusing is not a problem at all.

Back