Fuji My first Raw-Only outting...

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
This weekend we took bikes to the train north to Ipswich, MA, to meet up with 12 other friends at an orchard / winery for their annual fall tasting festival. Since I discovered Raw Therapee here a few weeks back, I've been screwing around with it obsessively every day when I could, learning my way around it. I have shot a few things in RAW+Jpg, happily having a backup to compare to my conversions with. As of Friday, I decided that I could live without the jpg's, if I want to. So I set the camera thusly:

ISO: Manual, as low as possible (this has been the habit of late, suddenly I'm a pixel peeper and I care about grain. Who knew.)
RAW Button: ND Filter on/off so I can shoot big apertures when I want to.
Shutter: Auto
RAW Only

And off we went. Knowing the bigger file size and lengthier pp process awaiting me if I went shutter crazy really made me pare it back a bit. I think I only shot 130 or so total, and was able to delete almost half. So a year and a half after getting the camera (and 25,000-ish clicks later) I'm finally "developing" my own. Here goes...

y2f3.jpg

hlm2.jpg

potj.jpg

Our daughter enjoyed "hiding" under things and coloring as we moved through the tasting room stations. They had 24 different fruit wines (rhubarb, dry blueberry, various ciders, elder berries, baclberries, raspberries, too many to remember).
ull3.jpg

My buddy enjoying the samples.
vlot.jpg

Excellent live bluegrass the whole time.
wj2k.jpg

Thwarted by a low-hanging tree branch in her attempt to climb a fence and get into her bike seat on her own.
z6ps.jpg

After the tasting, we biked 2 more miles to the beach. The Mrs.
v83y.jpg

Sunset.
wul4.jpg

And finally, catching the train back to Boston.
zurk.jpg

I found myself warming a lot of them up, color temp wise. I just preferred the look. Also I would vignette some shots on purpose, or reverse tone map to smooth them out. I'm learning.

All processing has it's place. I often shoot JPG and RAW now and segregate the shots afterward. Using RAW for the really tough stuff, and JPG for some of the easier stuff. It's nice to have choices, isn't it?

Shots look great and it looks like it was a great day as well!

Thwarted by a low-hanging tree branch in her attempt to climb a fence and get into her bike seat on her own.
Yeah, that's what she'd have you believe. In actual fact, she covets that fine leather B-17 and is figuring out how she's gonna make it HER'S!!!

Very nice shots. The processing looks very good. Although I think there's less to be gained from shooting raw with Fuji's than anything else I've ever shot with. But no harming in adding it to your arsenal...

-Ray

Haaa ha ha ha... She'll be on a Brooks in no time, I fear. Already outgrowing that Yepp seat. She's like a multi-year workout program. As I get used to hauling her around, she just keeps getting heavier and heavier. I adjust and get stronger, and then she does it again. She's gotta be almost 40 pounds by now, plus the seat. All day on the uphills, people passed me or bunched up behind as I ground it out. Then on the downhills, watch out... I'd come around the left side at Mach III.

Back