Micro 4/3 My EM-1 - 12-40 2.8

I've been doing my share of bad weather shooting with the same EM1 / 12-40 combination recently and I can say it handles surprisingly well with gloves. The two main control dials on top are located and configured in such a way that I didn't have any problem turning them with gloves on, and the shutter button works well enough. I suppose some of the buttons on the back might be a little fiddly with heavy enough gloves, but I wasn't going to those much shooting in the snow and ice. The on/off switch is very easy to get at with gloves too.

I've never thought a weather sealed camera would be much of an issue for me, because I tend to be a fair weather shooter, but I've been out with this combination 3-4 times in conditions I'd NEVER have taken anything else out in (maybe the EM5 and 12-50 when I had 'em, but I just never did) and I have to say I'm really glad to have it available. It's such a great lens that you don't feel like you're giving anything up for the weather sealing and it just seems to handle anything you throw at it. Although extreme cold will take a HUGE bite out of battery life. I burned through an EM1 battery on a relatively short walk (maybe 45 minutes to an hour) in low single digit temperatures a few weeks ago.

-Ray

Wow, impressive! I took mine out yesterday because we ARE FINALLY getting some real rain in California. Just had to get out and take forest pictures. EM1/12-40 worked like a charm and pictures are great.

My friends in Oregon have talked about all the snow.

Back