Fuji More confusion, not circular ones!

Lensflare

Regular
I am struggling with the XT-2. I know you have all helped greatly already and without it I tink I would have taken the camera back. It is so complicated, yet by the dials on top I thought it was going to be much simpler. Anyway, I don't know what I have done, but I cannot get either lens to manually focus. I set the switch on the front to M, but neither lens will focus at all, not even with the shutter button lightly pressed. So it can be one of two things:
1. The manual focus is bust.
2. There is some magic setting somewhere you have to organise before the manual focus kicks in - and I am used to being able to manually focus over the top of autofocus, where you can either just use autofocus, or over ride the focus by simply turning the focus ring yourself. I was trying to do some shots of the full moon and the camera simply would not focus on the moon at all, not in any of the autofocus settings. I tried S with single point focus detection, right through the big green square type of focussing with various sizes of square and number of dots to use....it wouldn't have it. It wouldn't focus on the fairy lights over our bird table either. Eventually I managed to get something, but I haven't downloaded them yet.

Any ideas please? I could have done with that ability to focus the last bit of crispness without the focus motor scooting in and out. The XT-2 certainly isn't as easy to use as the D4s, but it is lighter and smaller.

I don't think I've ever had that happen. Let me dig for a moment.

Side question: If it's still doing it, could you put the front switch back on MF, and then press the AF Lock button on the back? It should attempt to focus and lock when you do.

Also a REALLY dumb question (please forgive me) but you were turning the smaller, thin focus ring out towards the end, and not the zoom ring inadvertantly?

I use my X-T1 the opposite way. The body is set to "S" then I focus using AF (lightly pressing the shutter release) then can use manual override by turning the lens focus ring with the shutter release still lightly pressed. I'm not aware of a setting that allows the type of operation you describe when the camera body is set to "M".

I'm not either. Scanning forums, I see people having to half press the shutter button on the XT2 to get focus peaking, but you're saying that it wouldn't actually change focus in MF while turning the focus ring... I can't think of how to do that accidentally with settings. Last ditch would be a factory reset on settings, I think?

I phone Fuji UK this afternoon and spoke to the training manager..... he couldn't fathom it either. I have to take it in for someone to have a play with that knows their way around the Fujis.... I'll report back.

My fear is, I am going to have it set up for manual focussing and it'll muck up the settings I had for action. I hate to say it, but the Nikon, I just had to turn the focus ring to focus manually, even in autofocus, the manual focus overrode the auto for fine tuning or to stop any hunting in low light.

Part of the problem is there are so many permutations of the settings and as many people saying their's is the best way to set it up! Back to those circles of confusion again. :026:

^ That's how my XT1 works. You should expect that.

(edit: I mean that I do 1 small obvious easy thing - put the front dial into MF - and I'm focusing manually)

Yeah that sucks. I don't have those two zooms, but there's nothing I can find on them that makes them different functionally from the 18-55 or 50-230 that I do have. I can't wait to hear what they guy at the store comes up with, when he (or she) has it in their hands. I am guessing someone's going to do a factory reset and it will suddenly work.

Back