Monopod Walking Stick

ReD

Hall of Famer
On my little weekend Jaunt to West Wales I found I had need of a walking stick

So I thought I'd get a telescopic one - then thought of a Monopod to give dual use - but priority on the walking stick.

Just collected a Hama Alpen monopod seems to fit the bill but longer than I expected when fully retracted. Useful handle on this unlike the Manfroto

I see all sorts of uses for this pole such as poking it above hedges & into corner cupboards

Looks like fantastic value for money!
I paid a lot more for a Leki walking stick with camera thread. (on the plus side, the Leki has clamps rather than screw locking, which is something I really wanted)
Maybe get yourself a small ball-head with quick-release plate and you'll have a great setup for hiking and walks :)

I paid £12.00 from Tesco Direct free delivery - Ebay cheaper but then add postage

I'll see how I go before adding anything

Any Potential problem with taking this on a plane ? Travelling to Europe (Spain) soon

I guess ok in a suitcase but as hand luggage? - Anyone know?

I've tried a search but only found walking poles restricted - this could be classified as a pole but I may be needing it to walk with

On my little weekend Jaunt to West Wales I found I had need of a walking stick

So I thought I'd get a telescopic one - then thought of a Monopod to give dual use - but priority on the walking stick.

Just collected a Hama Alpen monopod seems to fit the bill but longer than I expected when fully retracted. Useful handle on this unlike the Manfroto

I see all sorts of uses for this pole such as poking it above hedges & into corner cupboards

What a fabulous idea! I need a stick from time to time when the joints just quit being agreeable, and this would solve some issues for me. Hama Alpen, eh? *google*

and heres a review by someone who actually uses it
http://www.long-exposure.com/blog/2010/10/30/gear-hama-alpenpod-walking-stick-with-monopod-review/

Any Potential problem with taking this on a plane ? Travelling to Europe (Spain) soon

I guess ok in a suitcase but as hand luggage? - Anyone know?

I've tried a search but only found walking poles restricted - this could be classified as a pole but I may be needing it to walk with
i've never been hassled about my tripod i carry in hand while traveling between airports. they do have tripods where one of the legs detaches and reconfigures into a monopod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/969866-REG

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

That's a great idea, but being so cheap I'd wonder about the build quality of it - maybe someone could give us a quick review on that?

I use a monopod mostly at the motor sport - when I can be bothered - but usually just hand hold. It's a monstrously thick and heavy Manfrotto thing which for the greater part lives in the boot of my car. For carrying around I have a lightweight Manfrotto tripod which I find quite useable but being lightweight it's not always as sturdy as I'd like. I had thought of getting a carbon fibre one but they cost mega £££s.

I'll take a closer l;ook at that Hama though, it's great a idea for an aging fella who could do with a walking stick on some walks

I'll have to use it more before review

Briefly - better than hand hold but won't beat a proper tripod. Like most things you need to develop a technique especially for extra bracing
So far Had some good & bad shots (as per normal) about 1/4 - 1/2 sec is about the lowest speed I think I'd use

Max height is about chest height. Shortest 660mm

Rec Retail is near £30 if that means anything these days

to be continued ..

I've had one of these for 2 or 3 years now and I use it mostly as a walking stick/pole (it is fully height adjustable). It has a standard "tripod" thread head which can be tilted to portrait if needed and as a bonus it has a compass protecting the screw head (useful only for approximations). I'm tall and well built, approaching 70 and I find the pole ideal for walking in the country, especially when slippery under foot, the monopod option is very useful at times. It collapsed down to 670mm so it is reasonably small for packing or attaching to a camera bag. I think it is great value for money.

i-hama-turystyczny-alpenpod-4103.jpg

Available on Amazon but cheaper here.

http://www.7dayshop.com/hama-alpenp...=L2NhdGFsb2dzZWFyY2gvcmVzdWx0Lz9xPW1vbm9wb2Q=

hmm.. takes me right to the one i was trying to show.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Interesting. Here's the link as seen in my browser status bar
Code:
https://www.photographerslounge.org/http/BI/1848/KBID/2491

And here's what I get if I click on it
Not Found

The requested URL /http/BI/1848/KBID/2491 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

but if I right click on it, I also get an option to go to B&H. Weird. I wonder if its to do with the latest Chrome update.

[edit] Not Chrome, i also get the same thing in Safari, Firefox, and Opera. Dunno what to tell you. Its weird as...

Thread necro, in preference to starting a new one on an identical topic.

Any current suggestions or recommendations on a sturdy walking stick that'll extend up to be a useful monopod? I'm getting a good workout from a heavy lens/camera combo but for extreme telephoto wildlife shots I'm thinking some stability for the camera might help, and if I'm going to be carrying all that around some support for my knees will be appreciated.

One can wrap a metal stick with bicycle grip tape to give a warmer, cushioned feel to the monopod.

One can also take a real walking stick made of wood, drill a hole in the top and embed a 1/4" thread bolt shaft to the proper depth, and bed it into the stick with some epoxy that solidifies not-tacky.

I enjoy fly fishing and use a classic folding Folstaf which has been a joy for years. It has a simple 1/4-20 on the end which I have used quite a bit for monopod purposes. Just too convenient even when not fishing. Sadly I just learned they have closed after 53 years. Sign of the times I guess. Simms makes a similar one out of aluminum. The nice thing about using a staff as opposed to a walking stick is the height. I'm tall and find that for me the compromise works well for both.

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
Back