Film Minor F 100 kit Revamp

Name
Tim Williams
Ok, on the bottom end of the focal range I have a mixed up set of lens. I want to consolidate this into 1 zoom and 1 prime to cover that area. I'm on somewhat of a budget as this is a hobby so I'm thinking either the 24-85 3.5-4.5 G VR and I'm done, or the 35-70 2.8 and my 24 2.8 Ais. I think the newer design of the 24-85 plus VR will more than make up for the 2.8 on the 35-70. I'll mate one of these up with my 80-200 2.8 afs and that will do it, although the prices on the 300 f4's are really tempting (see how this stuff gets started ) :D. In the meantime I'll be getting rid of a Tamron 20-40, Tamron 24-135, and a Nikon 28-70 3.5-4.5 a 28 2.8 Komine close focus and a Nikon 200 f4 Ais.

Sounds like a plan to me - but the 35-70mm f/2.8D is no slouch; the 24-85mm is a good lens as far as kit lenses go, but I'm unsure if it's a match for the older "pro" zoom. On a different note: Isn't the 80-200 a D series lens (screwdriver autofocus)? It's an optically very solid lens and quite compact (smaller than the new 70-200m f/4G that I have - which, to be fair, is a fantastic performer) - I'm just wondering ... it's very desirable either way, and the F100 can surely handle it.

M.

Yes my 80-200 is my go to sports lens either digital or otherwise. Super sharp on my D700 and very fast focus. I will not get rid of this one. I have read reviews on the 35-70 which say it is a stellar performer, and the constant 2.8 is always a good thing. I'm up in the air on this one as the reviews on the 24-85 are equally glowing. My heart would love a nice 35-70 as I love the solid feel of pro glass. Not so sure about the push pull zoom though. KEH doesn't have a good copy of it in stock so that should tell me something. As far as the wide end goes the 24 Ais will do fine. Auto focus will not be required in that range and Nikon has focus conformation.

And I completely forgot about the 20-35 2.8. Along with the 35-70 and 80-200 that is the Holy Trinity of film days. My fate is sealed. If these don't work I'm doing something wrong.
Hardly - you'll simply have to see if you gel with these lenses. You'll find out ... but only then.

Just as an illustration of what I'm talking about: I actually do like the results from my uber-geeky Sigma Art primes - but I don't like shooting with them too much, to be honest. I will keep them because not having them would be a real pity - but I'm still angry with myself at times for not using them more. But it's not that surprising, really. It's mainly their size ... and the capriciousness of the 35mm, too, though that's just my copy (at least anecdotally). Once I'm out shooting with them, it's okay, but actually picking up the dedicated(!) bag that houses them is daunting. They're bulkier than most medium format lenses I own. Go figure ...

What I'm trying to say is: Try out this trinity; you know that the 80-200mm is a keeper - and by all accounts, the 35-70mm is, too. You'll see if the lenses fit *you* once you have them. No review, however good or bad, will change that.

M.

Back