Medium Format Lenses on Mirrorless Cameras

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
After thinking for a long time about getting an adapter for my Hasselblad Zeiss lenses to use with the E-M5, I finally got one for the Fuji X-pro 1. The Fotodiox adapter comes with a nice, built in tripod mount, though the pictures below were all shot handheld, supporting the weight by holding the lens, with the 80mm f2.8 Planar and the 50mm f4 Distagon. I love these lenses and had a feeling that would couple nicely with the X-trans sensor. I'm not disappointed, but IBIS, as in the E-M5 would make focusing them handheld a whole lot easier, at least if you need to magnify things for critical focus.

Has anyone else experimented with medium format lenses on their mirrorless bodies. Yes, it makes for a big kit, but I have always loved the way these lenses render on my Hasselblad, and I see the same magic in the digital files.

Clicking on the picture will bring you to a larger version at SmugMug

Hasselblad%20lens%20test%20DSCF0811-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

80mm%20f2.8%20Planar%20DSCF0824-L.jpg

80mm%20Planar%20DSCF0820-L.jpg

DSCF0802-L.jpg

80mm%20PlanarDSCF0822-L.jpg

And a detail shot at 100%
100%25%20DSCF0799-L.jpg

Last edited:
DSCF0811_v2-X2.jpg

Same as above, but processed in Photo Ninja and Photoshop instead of Lightroom and Photoshop. I generally like the demosaicizing of of the Fuji Xtrans raw files better out of Photo Ninja. Fine detail, especially in areas where there is a lot of it and it is complex, is retained better in PN. Whether it is noticeable at normal web sizes is open to debate, but I usually judge such things by how it looks at 50% in photoshop on my decent but hardly wonderful 24 inch monitor.

I'd say it's a lovely pair, but I only see one (sorry for the bad pear pun)

Maybe you could peel 2 of them and take a photo of a pair of pared pears

"Thank you and good night!"

*walks off to imagined applause of thousands of pun fans worldwide*

OK, some down and dirty shots of the X-Pro with the Hasselblad 50mm and Fotodiox adapter on it, all still dusty and with sweaty fingerprints from this afternoons outing at the cemetery. The tripod is still in the trunk, or I'd have mounted the kit on it. The tripod mount built into the Fotodiox adapter is nice to have, but it is under-engineered. I keep tightening the tiny screws that hold it in place, but will probably have to drill it out for a more secure anchor.

thats not SO huge... my 90/2.8 on my sony cams looks like that. :)
i could deal with that for a specific purpose, tho i wouldnt want it as my every day carry around lens! hehe

Has anyone else experimented with medium format lenses on their mirrorless bodies. Yes, it makes for a big kit, but I have always loved the way these lenses render on my Hasselblad, and I see the same magic in the digital files.

Nice pics - only a few times I've tried such a combination like this with one lens: a Mamiya 80mm/1.9 on a Sony A7 (with 2 adapters Mamiya->Nikon->Sony E)

13698479145_f63ee88d89_b.jpg

but the IQ in general was not so satisfying for me, because there were more CA than on film and for MF the resolution doesn't need to be very high in comparison to a FF or ASP-C lens

I've got no CA from the Zeiss lenses, even at 100%, which surprised me since some of my other manual lenses for 35mm exhibit it strongly, though mostly the longer focal lengths. As for resolution: I'm impressed, at least with the 50, and the 80. I'll have to test the 150 on a tripod to be fair to it, but hand held it was a little soft. I'd be curious to get an adapter for my E-M5 and see if the IBIS helped.

Nice pics - only a few times I've tried such a combination like this with one lens: a Mamiya 80mm/1.9 on a Sony A7 (with 2 adapters Mamiya->Nikon->Sony E)

but the IQ in general was not so satisfying for me, because there were more CA than on film and for MF the resolution doesn't need to be very high in comparison to a FF or ASP-C lens

Very nice shot! I don't know what the lines per mm readings of the Zeiss Hasselbald glass is, but I'd be surprised if it didn't hold up to the general standards of 35mm lenses. In any event, larger formats have to be sharp - whatever standard they apply - over a much bigger area. I know my sharpening procedures using these lenses are less aggressive than many 35mm lenses I've adapted to the cameras I have and not a lot different than what I use for digital lenses. But like I said, I've always had a soft soft for this glass.

that is MAGICAL!

thats not SO huge... my 90/2.8 on my sony cams looks like that. :)
i could deal with that for a specific purpose, tho i wouldnt want it as my every day carry around lens! hehe

Yes, it's big but not huge. But the 50mm f4 weighs 2 lbs. -- metal housing and big, chunky pieces of glass. Change a few words, and I could be describing a huge piece of steak.

Yes it seems not the usual uniform and unpersonal build. Perhaps that was the point why I choose to make the photo, although the surrounding and high of the statue didn't impress me especially.

Back