Film Mamiya RZ67

Jay and Peter. Agree. If I could afford two medium format system cameras, I might get an RX67, which is a great camera with great glass. There is something about the rendering of the Zeiss lenses that I have a real attachment to. It's not a matter of good, better, best; it's just that the glass I have speaks to me (not in the sense that I need to be involuntarily committed, mind you!), so I would have to be in a position to have a second system to get the Mamiya. The Mamjya glass is remarkable.. Right now the 6x7 (or 6x9) I have my eye on is a Fuji Texas Leica. I have the GS645S for a smaller negative and absolutely love it. So many cameras, so little time-- and money!

I've never been a fan of the square aspect ratio. Had to buy a Blad to confirm it :p

That's an expensive method of confirmation! For portraiture, which is about 90% of what I use my Hassy for, I love the square format, and when I take it into the field, I find myself easily seeing in those terms, or at least in something that needs only a slight crop from square. And if I want a rectangle, I still don't have to turn the camera, just crop the negative. I'm not a member of the "cropping is criminal" school, and never feel that I absolutely have to compose to the format I have on me, just to make the mental crop while shooting in order to use the format efficiently. It's lovely that the same 120 film can be shot in so many aspect ratios.

That's an expensive method of confirmation!
It was worth it. Sometimes I have to learn the hard way, lol.

I'm not a member of the "cropping is criminal" school,
Neither am I but I rather start with something that's closer to my average ~3:2 (4:3 - 2:1) without losing too much real estate. On top of that the 6x9cm negatives or slides of my Fujica GL690 give me an extra 50% to mess around with and there's no need to baby that camera (I treated the Blad like a raw egg most of the time.)

It was worth it. Sometimes I have to learn the hard way, lol.

Neither am I but I rather start with something that's closer to my average ~3:2 (4:3 - 2:1) without losing too much real estate. On top of that the 6x9cm negatives or slides of my Fujica GL690 give me an extra 50% to mess around with and there's no need to baby that camera (I treated the Blad like a raw egg most of the time.)

Yes, that Fujica is on my short list of things to get when I can. It's a fairly long short list, though:LOL:, so it may be a while. And if, presently, I think I'll be shooting closer to 8x10, my GS645S works beautifully. Those Fuji 120 fixed lens cameras are just amazingly good.

I've never been especially dainty with my Hasselblads, but they are certainly less convenient to hand hold than the Fujis. I sometimes do it, though, with a 45 degree eyelevel finder, and it's doable, and even fun. But I doubt the 500CM will become my street shooter of choice.

But I doubt the 500CM will become my street shooter of choice.
The Texas Leica wouldn't be my first choice either. OTOH sometimes something more rugged and heavy than any of my digital snappers might come in handy; I had a good number of close escapes over the years.
So with all the new film I just bought and my old gear being stored away for another while I might pick up another F2 or OM-1 or 2 with a 35mm from ebay. (I bought my last OM-1 with the latest 50mm/f1.8 ('Made in Japan') for 5€ a while ago.)

Back