1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Male Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Discussion in 'Fuji' started by Dave Jenkins, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Although we are not seeing nearly as many birds at our feeders as a few years ago (I was told it might be due to an increase in the number of hawks), we do often see Red-Bellied and Downy woodpeckers. We have not seen the rare pileated woodpeckers since I posted a photo some weeks ago.

This handsome fellow had just snatched a sunflower seed from one of our feeders and perched in the redbud tree across the driveway from our kitchen window. I continue to be very impressed by the 50-230mm lens and the X-T20's sensor.

Question: How do I set my X-T20 to show exposure info in playback mode? Red-Bellied Woodpecker-1R. Red-Bellied Wookpecker-1-Crop.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. mikEm13

mikEm13 Veteran

Feb 7, 2017
    Very nice Dave.

3. Bobby Tingle

Bobby Tingle Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    While viewing a photo, hit the disp/back button to cycle through the different information views.

4. Thanks, Bobby. The exposure was 1/140th second at f8, ISO 200.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Madam Red Belly came today to pose for her portrait in the Redbud tree. X-T20, 50-230 lens at full extension, 1/60th second @f8, ISO 400. Madam Red Belly-2R. Madam Red Belly-2C.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. What a beautiful bird. Love the photos too! That lens seems to be of very fine quality.

7. Thanks, Sue. We greatly enjoy seeing the woodpeckers come to our feeders. Do you have woodpeckers in the land of Oz?

The 50-230 lens is a real sleeper. It has taken away any desire to upgrade (?) to Fuji's more expensive long lenses.

8. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    Beautiful Dave. I'm not sure I have what it takes to make this lens work for me, but you have done a great job.

9. Thanks, Tim. These shots were hand-held, and not at high shutter speeds. The Fuji OIS system does a good job. I know you're having some physical problems, but if you can carry anything at all, you can carry this lens. Total weight on an X-T1 body is less than two pounds.

10. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    Dave thanks for the thoughts about my back but actually people here who have called me out, not in a bad way, are correct. I am more of a back button , slam it on, focus and I am there kind of guy. My landscapes are different. They don't move. I can finesse if I have to but capturing action is my real passion. Birds for some reason move too unpredictably lol. Sports I know. These are very good images.

11. No woodpeckers over here, that I am aware of. We do have lovely colourful parrots though.

12. Tim, as I said in another post, I'm not a bird photographer. These birds were stationary, just posing for me outside my kitchen window. There was no skill involved -- just like shooting fish in a barrel.:) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rs6er

Rs6er Regular

Jul 14, 2017
    I get a lot of Flickers and Stellar’s Jays on my feeder here in Central Oregon. In the Fall I get California Jays too. The woodpeckers have been sounding like machine guns on my gutters this Spring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.