Canon M5 coming soon - specs look promising!

Based on the specs, it's about the size of a Fuji X-T1 - not small, but still compact. But, with that, you get really good ergonomics from what I can see, which is a Canon strong suit in their DSLRs.

The lenses are key. To this point, Canon seems to have made an effort to keep them all very small and compact, by offering slightly smaller apertures and collapsible designs. It'll be interesting to see if they start bringing out some faster glass to pair with this camera for the more serious enthusiasts.

For now, I could see myself with the 11-22 for general walk around/travel, the 22mm for compactness and low light requirements, and the 50mm STM w/ adapter for portrait work. Pretty nice little package that would easily fit in my smaller shoulder bag.

Would be nice to have a dedicated M portrait lens, however. A 50mm f2 IS ideally.

Also, the key to the M5 will be the price. If it's $800-ish for the body, it'll be a huge winner. The lenses are already very affordable vs the competition.

For now, I could see myself with the 11-22 for general walk around/travel, the 22mm for compactness and low light requirements, and the 50mm STM w/ adapter for portrait work. Pretty nice little package that would easily fit in my smaller shoulder bag.

Or you could replace 11-22 with adapted 11-18 STM, which is supposedly slightly better optically and also fairly small and light. I'd also replace 50/1.8 with either EF-S 60mm macro or Tamron 60/2 macro for added versatility. Really, this could be an ideal system for people like me who don't really need/want super telephoto lenses.

Or you could replace 11-22 with adapted 11-18 STM, which is supposedly slightly better optically and also fairly small and light. I'd also replace 50/1.8 with either EF-S 60mm macro or Tamron 60/2 macro for added versatility. Really, this could be an ideal system for people like me who don't really need/want super telephoto lenses.

10-18 is an option, but a fair bit larger and adding the adapter would only make the variance greater. The extra 1mm on the wide side would be nice though.

The macro lens options are indeed good. I already own the 50mm STM, so no added cost for me there :)

If you buy this as your only camera, you're going to eventually want the best lenses for it which will lead to EF-S/ EF lenses. For example, who wouldn't be wondering what the EF 50mm f1.2 or even FD lens would be like on this camera, I know I would. This then leads on to a DSLR. So I see this as a gateway camera.

You can see the family resemblance:
upload_2016-9-15_20-13-18.png

Last edited:
The M5 is not cheap... but it is possible that Canon has finally woken up on the mirrorless front. And the camera does have the dual-pixel AF sensor, so it might turn out to be the performer Canon says it is.

But, again, given the price, I'm not sure I see this as a gateway camera. One can buy a two-lens Rebel kit for a lot less money. The SL1 looks like it's very close in size to the M5:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

It may be that Canon is beginning to realize that mirrorless is its own thing... and worth pursuing seriously. If that's the case, we go back to my original statement: The sleeping giant may have just woken up.

Back