M Portrait

Discussion in 'Leica' started by christilou, Nov 15, 2013.

1. christilou

christilou Legend

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    M portrait with the 50mm. I need a longer lens really . I'm watching a couple of ebay items and hoping to get a 75mm or 90mm.

10868725506_339d964882_b.jpg
    Alex by christilou1, on Flickr

• Like Like x 13
  2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Looks nice! I really like the 50 Lux for portraits. May I ask why longer as far as portraits with the M are concerned? To get closer?

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I was thinking the same thing. You still have obliterated the background. Do you just prefer a little more working distance? Or is it an acute case of LAS (lens acquisition syndrome)

4. christilou

christilou Legend

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I like to be further away to get the best non posed images! I'm hoping the faces might fill the frame a bit more too.

5. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Definitely hard to do that with a 50. I guess you can always crop if you are not planning to make a big print. I've been contemplating going the opposite and getting the Voigtlander 21mm f1.8.

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf All-Pro

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Which 75 and 90 were you thinking about christilou?

7. christilou

christilou Legend

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    90mm Elmarit 2.8 (later model) and a 75mm APO 2 sum micron (6 bids on each and two days to go). I have an auto bid on but who knows what the APO will go for!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Great portrait!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf All-Pro

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    I bought the latest 90mm Elmarit earlier this year and then sold it and the 28 Elmarit-M vIV to buy my 35 Lux. I missed the 90 and how it rendered. So I bought another one a couple months ago. I love how it draws and many feel it is one of the best. I'm becoming a big fan of the Mandler designs its one of them.

The 90 Summicron vIII is also a Mandler design: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2_Summicron-M_III

I'd be very curious to see how this did on my camera too.

Let us know how you make out!

• Like Like x 2
  10. ajramirez

ajramirez Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Wonderful portrait, Christina!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jip

Jip Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Jip van Kuijk
    I like the Elmarit-M 90mm it's a great lens especially for its price! Use it quite often for portraits or far sights.