Panasonic LX5 extended flash options

Mal Holmes

Rookie
One of my down issues with serious compacts is the lack of flexibility with the pop-up flash. Although we can adjust the ISO to push the capabilities, it is still somewhat limited. When I heard that the LX3 & D-lux 4 had included a flash shoe, I was extremely happy, but I held out for the release of the LX5.

View attachment 29622

Other options which we can all now use is the off shoe option. I have found that the OLYMPUS TTL flash extension for the olympus FL36 & FL50 works really well with all Lumix/Leica models and the TTL syncs up with no problems...

View attachment 29623

I do however, feel there should be a better way to utilise the cable release option with a flash, but I suppose 'beggars cant be choosers' with a model as sophisticated and compact as the LX5, so the pop-up flash will have to make do, but it may act well as a firing flash, to be synced-in with others if needed.

View attachment 29624

All in all though... the camera does pack a punch if you are flexible with your own flash options...

View attachment 29625

Mal.

I've recently purchased an external flash and I get quite a few laughs from people when they see such a huge flash on a small camera (not an LX5 owner but DP1 is similarly sized). I even heard a "why do you point the light up?" :D

Back