Looking for a new camera system

I would like a small walk around lens for landscape and nature with possible good close up (1:2 - 1:3 is perfect).
A telephoto for wildlife.
A fast wide lens for low light landscape.
A fast portrait lens (something in the range of 50-90).

yeah, I have a good tripod that gets pretty small to carry around
the 12-50 seems nice, it's not that sharp, I'll have to remove the close up feature to get something nice.

I've had all three systems (EM5, NEX7 and XE1). I've only had the XE1 for 3 days but the others I've shot many thousands of frames.

IMHO.

The worst menus are the Sony's by far. The format function is right in the middle. It takes forever to get to. The Fujis are better than the Olympus but I have no real issues with the Olympus menus now I've used them for a year.

Image quality at low ISO goes to the Sony, just. Then the Fuji and the Olympus is a close third. But they're all really close. It's only in bigger prints you'll see any real world differences. If you shoot at higher ISO's the Fuji is better. The Sony falls apart first. At ISO 1600 it's Fuji, Olympus, Sony.

*I* prefer the Fuji handling. Followed by the Olympus. The EM5 feels like it needs the grip. The Fuji doesn't. The SOny seems slipery to me. Plus I like a traditional shutter speed/aperture layout that the Fuji gives me.

EVF's are split between the Olympus and the Fuji. The Fuji is really clear but the Olympus doesn't stutter when following moving subjects. It has a much better refresh rate. The Sony has a high resolution but I found it uncomfortable to look through because of the eyecup, which I hated and removed.

The Sony hotshoe needs a $10.00 adaptor for off camera triggers. For TTL I think the Sony/Minolta design was brilliant and it's a shame they caved and changed it. The Oly has no inbuilt flash but comes with a clip on. It's a PITA requiring three covers to be removed to use it.

The Oly has two things the others don't. Weather sealing and IBIS. Both are fantastic. The IBIS is simply brilliant. I have also put the weather sealing to the test in torrential rain and it works.

The Fuji has by far, the best kit lens. You'll need to spend nearly a grand on the Panasonic 12-35 to match it. The Oly kit has macro but the Fuji lens is vastly optically superior. The Sony kit zoom is about the same as the Olympus. Decent but not special.

Olympus has the best lens range. The primes especially are all great with the exception of the 17mm 2.8 which is Ok. The 45, 60 and 75mm Oly lenses are world class. The Fuji range is smaller but they're all very very good lenses. No dogs at all. If the range covers your needs you're set.

The Olympus focuses the best. In daylight it's a bit faster. In dim light it locks on easily after the other two have given up. No contest here. The Fuji and Sony are snappy enough in good/moderate light but struggle in dim room lights (like if you're using lamps in the corner rather than the main ceiling light).

It's a tough choice. You won't get a bad camera, regardless. For landscapes I think I might go with the Fuji, with the condition that you don't get it wet and you're happy with the lens range. If you go extreme then the Olympus is the obvious choice, especially if you don't carry a tripod. The IBIS is that good.

Gordon

Thank Gordon, that's a good sum up from some one who used them.
I'm really between the XE1 and the EM5.

For me, positive of EM5:
+ IBIS
+ Weather sealing
+ Wide variety of lens

For me, positive of XE1:
+ low noise
+ sharpness
+ kit lens
+ love the control on it (can do the same with any other camera anyway)

If the XE1 had IBIS on it, I would go that route without even thinking twice. I'm planning to use some older Pentax K lens I have with an adapter, I will do that no matter if XE1 or EM5 (could be EPL5 as well).

For me, positive of EM5:
+ IBIS
+ Weather sealing
+ Wide variety of lens

For me, positive of XE1:
+ low noise
+ sharpness
+ kit lens

If the XE1 had IBIS on it, I would go that route without even thinking twice. I'm planning to use some older Pentax K lens I have with an adapter, I will do that no matter if XE1 or EM5 (could be EPL5 as well).

Just make sure that adapter also gives focus confirm in some way. I bought an adapter so I could use my K55 f/1.8 with my V1... but no focus confirm and my dodgy eyes means I wasted my time. It works, but you need 20/20 vision.

Just make sure that adapter also gives focus confirm in some way. I bought an adapter so I could use my K55 f/1.8 with my V1... but no focus confirm and my dodgy eyes means I wasted my time. It works, but you need 20/20 vision.

the xe1 now has focus peaking. manual lanses are pretty easy. There's a psuedo version on the EM5 but I didn't like it and just use the magnify function.

Gordon

For me, positive of EM5:
+ IBIS
+ Weather sealing
+ Wide variety of lens

For me, positive of XE1:
+ low noise
+ sharpness
+ kit lens

sharpness isn't an issue. Now Ive only had the XE1 a few days so this is a limited judgement. I'd say the differences are that the Fuji files are slightly less noisy at low ISOs and have marginally better DR. But in print there's less noticable difference than you might think. There are differences but they're subtle. If you're planning adapted lenses then Id go with the EM5 for the IBIS. But that's just me.

And I just noticed that the Olympus 12-50 and Panasonic 12-35 both focus significantly closer than the Fji lens.

Gordon

yes, that 12-50 is nice for close up but not as sharp as the fuji. I love the way the Fuji camera look but I know the feature of the EM5 would fit me the best with those manual lens.

Anyway, maybe I could find a good deal on a EM5 here or on the m4/3 forum.

Is the 12-50 sharp enough? I used to have the Sigma 17-70 on my Pentax and I love it. Anyone knows if it's equivalent in term of sharpness?

Maybe I should also look at the GX7, it's coming up soon, the only downsize is the kit lens (though is the 14-42 any good?) and the fact that you cannot get it in black in the US

For a kit lens it's not a bad lens. The range is great. And the macro is actually very good. Have a look at the 12-50 image thread and you can decide if it meets your personal demands. Yes, there are better lenses out there. But if the 12-50 was the last lens on Earth, I could make some nice images with it, for sure.

As for the Panasonic kit lenses. No better or worse than the Olys. Except the discontinued 14-45 which was surprisingly good. It'll take a lot for the IBIS in the GX7 to match the EM5 though.

Gordon

I've had the Nex 7 since it came out and recently got the Om D Em5 6 months ago,these are my thoughts : The Sony- excellent , The Oly- splendid.... Which is to say having only the 24mm and 18-55mm kit for the Nex 7, and the 20mm,12-55mm and 40-150 for the Oly. I can first hand say neither outshines the other, that's even taking in consideration the limited choice of lens for the Nex 7. To credit the Em5 though,lenses from Panasonic and Olympus says a lot. But using both cameras and being pleased yet continually each time using them I can't say I wish I never purchased either. But it boils down very quickly to your shooting preference and lens selection. Dof usually comes into play in some if these forums which I never have that problem with the Zeiss but that comes with a hefty price tag I think I paid 1k for it at Adorama. But the functionality and feel of the Em5 is like the driver seat of a BMW ! Can't believe they shrunk so much camera into this little shell !

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Thanks Temo, it's true that lens wise I would prefer the em5, there is more choices.

I still find that there is some noise at low ISO on the em5, nothing too bad but still it's there.

Back