London this weekend?

krugorg

All-Pro
Name
Kyle Krug
I have meetings in the UK on Friday and Monday, so I am "stuck" this weekend (March 1-2) in London.

Any recommendations for off-the-beaten-path photo walks? Paul already let me know that I shouldn't expect to find many abandoned farmhouses or cows, but I am hoping I can find some other cool stuff. :D Any tips would be appreciated!

Of course, it would be great to meet any London-area SCers... let me know if you will be in the neighborhood (I will be near Paddington) and up for a pint or coffee.

-Kyle

Spitalfields Market and Brick lane, both near Liverpool Street Station and lots of very new architecture.
Borough Market near London Bridge station (The Shard is very close by)
The Tate modern is a stunning building and there is a photography exhibition on at the moment. It is across a footbridge from St Pauls Cathedral (Get the tube to St Paul's and walk across) and it is just along from the Shakespeare Globe theatre
A visit to The Photographers gallery just off Oxford Street is always interesting.
http://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/home

If you want a long walk then Hyde park is near where you are staying and a walk through that to St James's park and Buckingham palace then up the Mall to Trafalgar square then across the bridge at Charring Cross Station takes you to the South bank by the Millennium Wheel and from there you can walk all the way along to the Tate modern stopping off at Borough Market on your way, across the millennium bridge to St Paul's, hop on the Central Line tube to Oxford Circus and you are near the Photographers Gallery and Oxford street shopping :)
A long trip but doable spread over a day with stops for food and coffee as you go.

I can't recommend the Spitalfields are more than enough. Stick to the area around between the market and Brick Lane, especially around Princelet and Fournier Street and you will see 17th and 18th century architecture at its finest.

I also highly recommend around St Pauls and in particular the back alleys between St Pauls and the river.

If I was free myself I would suggest meeting.

LouisB

Pop into Park Cameras in Rathbone Place (Just off Oxford Street Tottenham Court road end) to say hello. Ask for Andy West (thats me!) and I'll come say Hi. We have organised a Photo walk from the shop if you fancy it. Not sure where they are going and it's £20 but could be fun. We open at 10am so if you want to go on the walk give us a ring (number at www.parkcameras.com).

Wow - thanks for all of the great suggestions. Good stuff! I have everything loaded in my phone and I am going to head east first to check out Spitalfields and Brick Lane. The photo exhibitions look like a great option if the weather is bad.

Andy - your shop is pretty close to the hotel. I will stop in to say hello after locking my credit cards in the hotel safe.

Great to meet you too Kyle. Had a nice chat. I just wish I could have joined you for your walk about. Looks like you got some cracking images from the day. Hope Sunday is as good.

Back