London Lounge meet, Chinese New Year, 22nd February - who's up for it?

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
So, here's the suggestion.

This year's main celebrations of the Chinese New Year in London will take place on the 22nd of February. It's been a couple of years since I last went and I'm planning to go this year to treat it as a photo-opportunity.

My idea is this; meet somewhere interesting, not too far from Chinatown, but "off the route" - say the Photographers' Gallery in Ramilles Street. They open on Sundays at 11:30, which is a little later than I would like, so I am open to alternative suggestions. Anyway - meet, coffee, chat, maybe mooch around the galleries and shop, then head to Chinatown for the photo-opportunities, and meet afterwards for a well-earned beer, more chat and view of results in somewhere like the Coal Hole on the Strand.

If you think this sounds like a fun idea then please "sign up" on this thread. I'll also post this on the Fujixspot, feel free to share on Amin's other forums.

Bill, that's a great idea, but I'll really have to check out the possibilities first; I have to be at work early on the 23rd, which means I would have to fly back home on the 22nd ... but maybe I can make it to London a couple of days in advance and still enjoy a couple of hours with the crowd before I head back home.

I'll let you know asap ...

M.

The more the merrier!

Take-up seems a little slow, so far... C'mon, organise those passes-out (or by all means bring partners along) and let's put faces and voices to names!

Sorry bill but a day out to London from where I am costs the best part of £100 once petrol parking train fare etc are taken into account along with eating and the odd cup of tea ... I don't have that kind of money to spare I'm afraid :(

Oh London's pricy ok, but then it always has been.

The big problem has become getting anywhere by train at sensible cost ... But that's a whole thread's worth of moans in itself ;)

.........and of course the weekend is when there are rail closures to upgrade infrastructure. This last weekend is a case in point.
However, should be able to confirm in a day or so
pete

there is the megabus which is dirt cheap but for me its a 5+hour journey each way & needs me to catch first bus at 3am then leave 6pm - glad I have family commitments to use as an excuse not to go

Y'know, I'm really disappointed with the response to this. I thought people would be up for a bit of a get-together, the chance for a convivial chat, an event at which to snap a shot or two and then compare notes.

Is it the time of year, the venue, the travel cost, or should I change my aftershave...? :confused:

I was momentarily tempted to come as it's not that far but I don't want to be the only female and the last time I took my husband to a photography meet it went this way.....

"so, are you interested in photography?"

Him, "No, I find it rather tedious".......

Sorry, have to pull out before even seriously joining in - it's not feasible this time, mostly because of time constraints, but also in terms of cost-benefit ratio ... As I said in my last post in this thread, I have to actually get home on the 22nd, which turns out to be rather complicated and unnecessarily expensive.

Maybe next time ...

M.

Although I can't make this event getting into London from Cheshire has become a lot easier now that I have a secure car parking space lined up before I set out.
Thank goodness for the Westfields Mall at Shepherd's Bush.
I can leave the house at 7-15 and be down in the mall car park just after 10-30 ( motorways permitting ). During the week it's about £6.50 for a days parking but extra at weekends.
Then 30 minutes on the tube into the centre.
Sadly when I'm there I feel like the only native Londoner around!
( I also know Sunny Frimley quite well having had a two homes at Church Crookham )

I wish could come but there's some rather serious family business waiting. Still stuck in $§&* Swamp County - all I really want is to fly back home, damnit.

Back