Lets Shag

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
Olympus OMD EM5 Mk II
12-40/2.8 PRO

8RskVmD9O0T2wOXHf3zD2baXK9k5v4ojRLgxGkcjQVI=w717-h955-no.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Obviously “shag” means something different to Americans! :popcorm2:
Yeah, we're aware of the UK term from the Mike Myers movies, but I'm pretty certain the above image refers to a popular hair style that is spelled and pronounced the same: Shag Haircuts and Hairstyles in 2019 — TheRightHairstyles

. . . and if you were a child of the American 60s and 70s, you also likely are familiar with shag carpet. Hideous stuff, but it was very common in American homes.

One other use of the word that will definitely be foreign to our friends on the other side of the pond is to shag fly balls. I did a lot of that during my grade school years. In baseball when batting practice is going on, there's usually just a few guys out in the field "shagging balls"...which in the baseball parlance means chasing them down and throwing them back in to the pitcher so he can keep throwing batting practice.

the above image refers to a popular hair style
That's a new one on me too even though I'm in the US. Of course it may have something to do with the fact that I have no clue what most women's hairstyles are called and have been going only to barbers* almost my entire life. The other definitions of "shag" I'm familiar with so far.

* = "Barbers" as in "old guy who runs his own shop and doesn't ask you what 'style' you want, you sit in the chair and get a haircut".

That's a new one on me too even though I'm in the US. Of course it may have something to do with the fact that I have no clue what most women's hairstyles are called and have been going only to barbers* almost my entire life. The other definitions of "shag" I'm familiar with so far.

* = "Barbers" as in "old guy who runs his own shop and doesn't ask you what 'style' you want, you sit in the chair and get a haircut".
Kevin mop tops are men’s haircuts!

Back