Compact Leica V-Lux 20 review

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
Leica V-Lux 20: is it serious enough, has anyone tried one, bought one...?

In my travels I found Steve Huff's review of this camera here The Leica V-Lux 20 Camera Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS while I was initially reading his comparison of the Leica X1 review, and wondered if any of you knew much about this camera?

I know it only shoots jpeg. Does this mean it's not "serious"? It doesn't mean that to me, if the jpegs are good enough. I realize that this could be considered heresy by some, but I'm asking it anyway and will look forward to any and all feedback about this camera.

On the other hand, perhaps a nice used Leica D-Lux 4 would be even better?

Sorry to say this, but in my opinion it is not OK to post encoded links without any further remarks such that one cannot know which actual site hides behind the link. This is typical for spammers and should not be done by someone with good intentions. Herman, I am very sure that you have only the best intentions when you post links to these fine reviews, but please stop this bad habit and write some words or cite some short passages or at least post the real links.

I'm sure Herman did have the best of intentions, pictor, but I do understand your concerns. Herman's unmarked link is from The Gadget Website also known as T3.com: Leica V-Lux 20 review review | T3.com and gives us a link to a mini review (my terms) by Rachael D'Cruze written on July, 23, 2010. Here's a bit from the beginning:
Leicia's V-Lux 20 looks great on paper with its 12MP and 12x zoom, but is it worth the premium price?
The Leica V-Lux 20’s simple yet attractive metal body screams ‘serious photographer’. At approximately 103 x 62 x 33mm you could say it’s on the bulky side, but when you take it’s 12x zoom lens and built-in GPS into consideration, it certainly isn’t.

Realistically, you can’t slither the Leica V-Lux 20 into your pocket, but if you’re a serious user you probably don’t care…In general, the body feels very well made and built to last, but we were disappointed with the cheap plastic switch used to close the battery in...

I've been doing some reading about this camera myself, and for the most part have tended to find either short reviews, rather like preliminary reviews, or comments on different discussion forums. Interestingly, people who actually have the camera seem to like what it offers them as a small, handy camera while knowing they're not getting RAW, they seem pretty happy with the camera's versatility. Naturally, this is all anecdotal.

Steve Huff, the photographer some seem to either love or love to hate - with a few of us somewhere in the middle - did take the time to write a review on June 16th and it can be found on his website here: The Leica V-Lux 20 Camera Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
About 10 years ago I was sitting in my office saying to myself “Imagine if someone would create a digital camera with a 28-300 zoom lens built in and then have that camera pump out an insane 8 mega-pixels and shoot video. Not only that, make it to where it will fit in my front jeans pocket!”

Well here I am 10 years later with a tiny camera that has a 25-300 Zoom, pumps out 14+ mega-pixels, has 720P HD video built in with image stabilization and auto focus, has a built in GPS for geo tagging all of your photos, AND has every feature and gimmik that most consumers could ever want! That camera is the Leica V-Lux 20 and it’s the new compact point & shoot from Leica, which is result of their partnership with Panasonic (who has the similar ZS-7)...
If anyone is remotely interested in this camera, I think the rest of his review is worth reading. Spoiler alert: he's not in love with it, however he does seem to like it and does draw some comparisons. Happy reading.:)

P.S. As you can see I've merged two threads into one, thus now Herman's review post is second, though the thread retains his title.

Sorry to say this, but in my opinion it is not OK to post encoded links without any further remarks such that one cannot know which actual site hides behind the link. This is typical for spammers and should not be done by someone with good intentions. Herman, I am very sure that you have only the best intentions when you post links to these fine reviews, but please stop this bad habit and write some words or cite some short passages or at least post the real links.

I agree with BB besides Herman adds a nice Dutch flavor to the forum ;)

In my travels I found Steve Huff's review of this camera here The Leica V-Lux 20 Camera Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS while I was initially reading his comparison of the Leica X1 review, and wondered if any of you knew much about this camera?

I know it only shoots jpeg. Does this mean it's not "serious"? It doesn't mean that to me, if the jpegs are good enough. I realize that this could be considered heresy by some, but I'm asking it anyway and will look forward to any and all feedback about this camera.

On the other hand, perhaps a nice used Leica D-Lux 4 would be even better?

BB before you commit to the Red Dot !!!

Have a look here (link in PM)

Not seen objective evidence that the Leica badged version is better

The LX3/D-lux 4 are both gems even with 60mm max zoom .. the f2 sharp lens is the secret so also 24mm the f2 is really useful on occasion's

The V-Lux 20 has that 300mm zoom of course .. hard choice get both ;)

Pre-used and for the right price the Leica is cool .. whereas new I dont think they are good value most people have Edit software and firmware tweak is just Leica flavor as for Warranty Panasonic versions are very reliable cameras anyways

My money is on new Panasonic or bargain priced pre-owned Leica :)

Pictor is right, just by clicking on a link one doesn't know where he / she is kicked too. I did not realize that, cause I shorten at twitter all URL's.

Yep, you are Herman!

With the way the Internet access points are evolving, it's hard to keep track of which mode of communication one's on, I'd think. For me, it's not too hard since I'm a luddite of sorts with no smart phone. Always good to learn the appropriate etiquette...when in Rome and all that.:drinks:

Back