Leica Leica Q Type 116

I just checked with a Leica dealer who told me that he has over 100 orders for the Q but is out of stock till mid-July from Leica.

Good to hear, since I don't find any obvious downsides to this camera. But this morning I was shooting a series of JPEG-plus-DNG's, in bursts of 8-9 shots, and it took about 30 seconds for the write-to-card to complete for each burst. Each burst was about 52 mb times 8 or 9 (43.5 plus 8.5 mb average per image), so about 440 mb average for the burst. My card is a Sandisk extreme class 10 microSD in a SD adapter. So I don't know if this camera is capable of a faster write to a faster card, but I'd sure suggest single shots if shooting DNG's and you can assure optimum focus and exposure.

While the Q is not right for me, and I am somewhat astonished by the huge in-camera corrections, I do hope Leica turns a profit on it. Sounds like they will.

While the Q is not right for me, and I am somewhat astonished by the huge in-camera corrections, I do hope Leica turns a profit on it. Sounds like they will.

Already dealers are reporting huge backlogs for the Q. TechRadar compared the Q's results to the big 3 Sonys and the Q beat them all. So maybe those huge corrections are the right thing after all.

Went to the Leica Store in Seoul, Korea yesterday and played with the Q for the second time. Here is a picture of their Q with my X.

18508615134_3f67357241_b.jpg
L1152145.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

And here is my X, with their Q.

18945003499_97f59cc9ac_b.jpg
L1030172.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

They had the grip with finger loops on the Q which I really liked, enough that I will probably buy the grip and loop for my X and X Vario (they use the same) when I get home next week. What a great way to carry and use the camera.

Back