Leica Leica MP (Film) Body

I've had an M7 for a while and really liked it. Thing was, however, it was about the least Leica-like Leica I've owned. I was also always a bit wary of leaving it switched on as, although it didn't eat batteries, I never wanted to have to rely on just two mechanical shutter speeds if I found myself with a dead cell and no replacement to-hand.

Anyway, I've been looking to thin my herd of cameras as I've come to feel greedy just having some of them sitting around, gathering dust, so I was delighted to stumble across a beautiful, "Mint-", piano-black MP body in a shop where I knew they'd take the M7 and my other stuff in part-ex.

On Saturday, the deal was done. It's in my bag as I write this and, this lunchtime, I'll be finishing off a roll of XP2 Super - just to see how the light meter compares with the M7. I'm hoping it'll be very similar as the M7 had a good meter.

Anyone else have an MP? Any quirks or tips?

Late reply but I have an black MP, upgraded from a M6. Added a rapid winder, which is rarely used but greatly improves the ergonomics. Shutter speed dial being oriented in the opposite direction as the digital Ms, is the only quirky issue IMO. I love the MP, it's the only body I can see myself keeping forever (I expect my M9 and MM to be unserviceable at some point). It's a pleasure to shoot with and my favorite M body to use. I hope your enjoying your MP...

Late reply but I have an black MP, upgraded from a M6. Added a rapid winder, which is rarely used but greatly improves the ergonomics. Shutter speed dial being oriented in the opposite direction as the digital Ms, is the only quirky issue IMO. I love the MP, it's the only body I can see myself keeping forever (I expect my M9 and MM to be unserviceable at some point). It's a pleasure to shoot with and my favorite M body to use. I hope your enjoying your MP...

I'm similarly equipped, but have an M2 instead of MP (with the Voigtlander meter on top). I hope the M9 (mine is an M-E) and CCD M Monochrom remain serviceable for at least a few decades as I really love them.

I had an M(240) which, when I bought it second-hand, seemed like a good idea. It's a great camera, don't get me wrong, but I don't do much in the way of digital photography and I found that I got fed up switching lenses - particularly as the sensor seemed to be an absolute dust magnet. I've had a few digital cameras down the years but I've never experienced a sensor that seemed to attract such a variety of sizes of crud, or so regularly.

Therefore, if I want to travel light, it's the MP (+ 28/50 or 35/90 combos) + a Leica Q which has the same sensor as the SL and gives me the rough equivalent of 28/35/50. Obviously, the 35 and 50 are digital crops - but great quality and big enough files for what I need.

I've had an M7 for a while and really liked it. Thing was, however, it was about the least Leica-like Leica I've owned. I was also always a bit wary of leaving it switched on as, although it didn't eat batteries, I never wanted to have to rely on just two mechanical shutter speeds if I found myself with a dead cell and no replacement to-hand.

Anyway, I've been looking to thin my herd of cameras as I've come to feel greedy just having some of them sitting around, gathering dust, so I was delighted to stumble across a beautiful, "Mint-", piano-black MP body in a shop where I knew they'd take the M7 and my other stuff in part-ex.

On Saturday, the deal was done. It's in my bag as I write this and, this lunchtime, I'll be finishing off a roll of XP2 Super - just to see how the light meter compares with the M7. I'm hoping it'll be very similar as the M7 had a good meter.

Anyone else have an MP? Any quirks or tips?
I did just the opposite. Had a piano black MP. It was just too shiny for me. Was browsing at my local Leica Shop (Leica Miami) and I spied a used black chrome M7. Fell in love with it. Made the trade plus $650. Love the aperture preferred mode. Do I miss my MP? You're damn right I do.

Back