Leica Leica Lenses - field of view

christilou

Legend
I'm hoping someone can help me with the above M? lenses for the Leica M8/9. If I were to buy a 35mm lens or 50mm lens etc., would the fov be the same on a Sony NEX APS-C sensor? I've become rather confused having used m43rds and now using old Contax G lenses on the NEX. 45mm and 90mm ranges on the Contax G lenses are not the same fov on the NEX. They are longer I think? Anyway, now I'm looking for a bit of clarity here :confused:

Well, a 35mm or 50mm is always a 35mm or 50mm lens. What's different is effective focal length. m43s has a crop factor of 2, so they'd be equivalent to 70mm and 100mm on m43. Sony NEX has a crop factor of 1.5, so it'd be 52.5mm and 75mm.

Chistina

Is it the crop factor that you are after for the NEX

the M9 = 1 (i.e. it is true 35mm), as is say the Nikon D700
the M8 = 1.3
the DX sensor on the Nikon, say the D300 = 1.5 plus a bit, maybe 1.6
M43 = 2

etc.

APS-C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but some argue about FOV not being the same as say a 50mm lens on an M43 which would be 100mm

(answered at the same time as deirdre)

Another thing to note, Christina, is that if you are using a lens made for a Film Rangefinder Camera, or indeed a film SLR, that when you use this lens on a "cropped" sensor only part of the lens is really in view, i.e. used - (so I have read anyway).

The reverse of this is seen when you use a lens designed for the Nikon DX sensor, (i.e. the DX range of lenses), on a FF, (full frame 35mm), Nikon - the lens only uses part of the sensor and this can be seen in the image that is produced

Thanks for the replies Bill and Deirdre. I realize now where I began to get confused. I thought that the M9 was APS-C sensor and now I see that it's full frame! :doh: Now it's making more sense to me :redface:

Back