Leica Showcase Leica 135mm F4.5 Hektor LTM

Mr_Flibble

All-Pro
Name
Rick
Is there no love for this lens?

Some images taken at the Wolluk-Stock 2015 music festival.
Camera: Leica M3 (Dual-Stroke 1955)
Lens: Leitz 13.5cm f/4.5 Hektor lens (1946 - coated)
Film: Fomapan 100 (Ro9, 1+25, 6.5 minutes)

WS150724.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WS150731.jpg

WS150740.jpg

WS150743.jpg

I confess I had not used the Hektor in for a number of years, but as I've used the 90mm f/4 Elmar for the last couple of years at this event I thought I'd try something different...and I wasn't disappointed ;)

How difficult is to focus with the 135 compared to the elmar 90 on the M3? I have the M7 and MM (1st series), and I would like to try one, but I fear it will be difficult to focus without assistance (I understanf that on newer Ms 24x it is easier). Cheers, Massimo

The focus throw of the 135mm is just as long as on the 90mm f/4 in LTM; nearly a full turn.
But the lens body is thicker, so it feels even longer. Some people find this too long to work quickly. Mine turns reasonably smooth.
The only other limiting factor is the quality of your camera's Rangefinder image.

Using an RF camera at a music festival to shoot musicians does require a bit more patience than taking pictures of static subjects ;)

I have the coated version in LTM and M-Mount, really liked using the latter with the M3. I end up using the Nikkor 135/3.5, shorter, faster, more contrast. With contrasty C41 monochrome film, the Hektor was wonderful.

DSCF1945_v1.jpg
I haven't used my coated version from 1949 very much. I always reached for the 90 f4. But I'm experimenting with my legacy glass on a Fuji X-Pro 1, and find the Hektor gives some very nice results. I haven't had a film 35mm rangefinder for a year, and wasn't crazy about the results I got when I try the Hektor on the E-P2 a numbers of years back. But after the tests I've conducted today, I think I may well be using it more. A quick snap of my neighbor this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus throw of the 135mm is just as long as on the 90mm f/4 in LTM; nearly a full turn.
But the lens body is thicker, so it feels even longer. Some people find this too long to work quickly. Mine turns reasonably smooth.
The only other limiting factor is the quality of your camera's Rangefinder image.

Using an RF camera at a music festival to shoot musicians does require a bit more patience than taking pictures of static subjects ;)
Mine is smooth but not loose. Firm but liquid is a quess how I'd describe it. The 90 is faster to focus, and I'm all in all fonder of it. But I'll be using the Hektor more since my recent experiments.

Another round of 135mm f/4.5 Hektor images from Wolluk Stock 2017, this time mounted on the Leica M-E.

WS170706.jpg

WS170708.jpg

WS170715.jpg

Back