Left-handed camera?

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Suppose your right hand is out of action for a while -- it's in a cast or a sling -- yet you still wanted to take pictures.

It strikes me that most cameras are darned awkward to operate with left hand only.

Solutions?

Cheers, Jock

Ricoh did a left handed film camera - the Samurai ZL. Leica did shutter release converters for LTM bodies, allegedly for those who had lost the use of their right hand in conflict.

As a proud Sinistral living in a hostile right-handed world it has always been a bone of contention for me...

Ricoh did a left handed film camera - the Samurai ZL. Leica did shutter release converters for LTM bodies, allegedly for those who had lost the use of their right hand in conflict.

As a proud Sinistral living in a hostile right-handed world it has always been a bone of contention for me...

Additional . . . ran an experiment, and it turns out that with a "flat-faced" camera, like an OMD EM5 or a GM5, it's possible to take pictures using the left hand only by cradling the lens and base of the camera with the palm and thumb and then using the ring finger to trigger the shot while holding the EVF to one's eye.

gm5-left-hand-operation-006-jpg.jpg

Turning on the camera and operating the zoom, if any, is more problematic.

Cheers, Jock

Back