last puff puff before boarding the chuff-chuff

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
Last tanning of the airways before entering the station for the morning commute. I remember when you could smoke on the train. What a horrific thought! I got up early as it was foggy and I knew it was the right ingredient for some dramatic smoke images.

X100S

11304146185_e55e39d833_c.jpg

Last "Puff Puff" before boarding the "Chuff Chuff" (4) by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

Last "Puff Puff" before boarding the "Chuff Chuff" (3) by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

11304175936_1f6691c0aa_c.jpg

Last "Puff Puff" before boarding the "Chuff Chuff" (2) by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

11304243663_8501a81721_c.jpg

Last "Puff Puff" before boarding the "Chuff Chuff" (1) by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

and here is **** Joe with his Piaggio 3 wheeler dishing out coffee to go outside the station (6D +50mm f/1.8

11304197004_eb722b8285_c.jpg

**** Joe and his Piaggio by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

....and other commuters arriving, also 6D +50mm

11309624934_1ab3ea4a34_c.jpg

Commuters, Shenfield Essex by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

11304170126_afd5b66209_c.jpg

Misty Commute (3) by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

11304167106_bcc0560d68_c.jpg

Misty Commute (1) by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

Great shots. Very dramatic tonally and beautifully processed.

Yes, you could smoke on subway platforms, in subways, in buses, trains, and airplanes, and when I was in college, in class. I got through University on black coffee and two packs a day of Camel filters -- God help us. I am now officially a former smoker and have been for about 2 1/2 years, but it took me years to get more than 11 months together, which I did twice.

The black coffee, however, is here to stay. No discussion about it even. I don't drink; I don't smoke; I have dessert only on occasion. Damned if I'll give up my coffee.

Great set Pete! Love the look of the photos. Air of mystery.

And glad you gave up the smoke Lawrence! I went through an one year stage during my rebel freshman year in high school. That was enough for me.

A kid I used to hang out with in high school tried to introduce me to cigarettes. I coughed my lungs out and never got the hang of it.

Then a couple of years later a gorgeous blonde I hung out with for an entire summer tried to introduce me to the Mary Jane that her mother grew in their organic backyard. Couldn't get into that either.

I can't stand coffee, much less black coffee.

It's no wonder I never fit in, in anything.

Pete, someday you should do a book of smokers. You seem to get them better than just about anyone...

I think the first and fourth here are particularly good...

-Ray

Pete, how did you shoot these? I notice they were shot on a 6D. Not the most inconspicuous camera, and poor liveview. Did you raise to your eye to shoot and you're just really quick, did you shoot wide a crop, did you spray and pray, did you ask for permission? Just wondering. Love the set.

most were shot with the X100S, the last general shots of commuters were 6D. At 6ft 3 inches tall and weighing 17.5 stone....I am easily spotted anyways, so may as well go the whole hog and carry a 6D along with the Fuji :0)
These days I try very little by way of subterfuge. I just see, raise the camera, shoot and move on. 99.9 per cent of people couldn't care less. The .1 per cent that do (and look like they do) I leave alone unless something special.
Cheers
Pete

Pete, someday you should do a book of smokers. You seem to get them better than just about anyone...

I think the first and fourth here are particularly good...

-Ray

Hi Ray, long time no see'ums. Yes, I could do a book.....good idea, I may just do that!
Best
Pete

Great shots. Very dramatic tonally and beautifully processed.

Yes, you could smoke on subway platforms, in subways, in buses, trains, and airplanes, and when I was in college, in class. I got through University on black coffee and two packs a day of Camel filters -- God help us. I am now officially a former smoker and have been for about 2 1/2 years, but it took me years to get more than 11 months together, which I did twice.

The black coffee, however, is here to stay. No discussion about it even. I don't drink; I don't smoke; I have dessert only on occasion. Damned if I'll give up my coffee.

Thanks, yes I am also an ex-smoker.....but also heavy coffee drinker. Glad I gave up the wicked weed......and should drink less coffee. I sleep little enough as it is.

most were shot with the X100S, the last general shots of commuters were 6D. At 6ft 3 inches tall and weighing 17.5 stone....I am easily spotted anyways, so may as well go the whole hog and carry a 6D along with the Fuji :0)
These days I try very little by way of subterfuge. I just see, raise the camera, shoot and move on. 99.9 per cent of people couldn't care less. The .1 per cent that do (and look like they do) I leave alone unless something special.
Cheers
Pete

lol. At your size, you can probably point the camera at most people, and they're not going to be inclined to complain too much ;)

Stunning shots, for me personally very inspirational because street photography is something I've never done before a recent trip to Amsterdam - but it whet my appetite to do more and get better at it. I'm still not completely comfortable with pointing my lens in the direction of an unsuspecting stranger though, I'm 5 foot 7, thin (ish), got a dodgy ticker, bruise easliy and have an allergy to pain. Who dares wins though eh? :)

D

Back