Nikon Just ordered V1 + 10 + 18.5

I am using the 18.5 most of the time - but that is because of the subject (our kid). I had little time to use the camera for other subjects. I expect to use the 18.5 more than the 10 in the future though. I would love if there was a 12.5 (35mm) lens too ...

A short update :)

After the Christmas Eve my Nikon 1 setup was expanded with the 30-110 lens and the SB-N7 flash. All I can say after just few shots:

- the 30-110 is very sharp and actually rather well suited for portraits. It is also very compact and light. The hood and lens cap can be attached separately from each other and the hood can be attached reversed. Perfect.

- the SB-N7 is a great little thing. It runs off 2xAAA (I would have preferred AA for more capacity) and bouncing it off the sealing gives very nice and even illumination to your subjects. The WB of the V1 is great the the flash (too) and so it remains one of the main strengths of the whole Nikon 1 system in my opinion.

Happy holidays to everyone :)

Auto iso is fine if you are in shutter priority mode though it's best to keep a check on the apertures the camera is choosing, N1 lenses tend to work best from wide open.

Actually I have started to use Manual mode with Auto-ISO quite a lot. It is reasonably quick to change aperture or shutter speed using the dial/jog lever and Auto-ISO takes care of film speed. It's OK for all but "action"shots where shutter priority mode works pretty well.

I haven't got the 10 mm, but the 18.5 is a great street/low light lens. I am great fan of the 6.7-13 UWA and the 30-110 as well.

The V1 is just good fun. I hope you enjoy it.

Just ordered a V1 with standard kit lens... I had been humming and hahing over whether to get one or a Pentax Q last summer, and went for the Q. It was a lovely thing to use and admire but had too many shortcomings for me so that's gone and I found a good deal on a V1. I expect I will augment it with an extra lens or two but will just see how the 10-30 goes for a little while.

Just ordered a V1 with standard kit lens... I had been humming and hahing over whether to get one or a Pentax Q last summer, and went for the Q. It was a lovely thing to use and admire but had too many shortcomings for me so that's gone and I found a good deal on a V1. I expect I will augment it with an extra lens or two but will just see how the 10-30 goes for a little while.

The 10-30 is remarkable, but if you are anything like me, and get regular doses of LBA, you'll soon be hankering for more. Can't wait to see your shots :)

The 10-30 is remarkable, but if you are anything like me, and get regular doses of LBA, you'll soon be hankering for more. Can't wait to see your shots :)

OK, I now have the V1 in my sticky paws. I think the control system will be fine after a bit of orientation. It's a shame the weather is so filthy, I can't wait to get out and actually use it!

OK, I now have the V1 in my sticky paws. I think the control system will be fine after a bit of orientation. It's a shame the weather is so filthy, I can't wait to get out and actually use it!
Yeah, it takes a bit of getting used to, but its pretty decent once you do get used to it. The only thing I really wish they had done was put some manual focus rings on the lenses, but then, that would have added weight and cost. So probably not a huge deal.

Are you finding you are using the 18.5 most of the time over the 10 or vice versa?

I had the 10 for a while but ended up selling it. It is indeed a great lens but so is the 10-30. It just wasn't worth keeping since it was only 2.8. The 10-30 has VR which makes it a wash. The only real advantage to the 10 in my book is size. Now the 18.5 is fantastic.

Extension tubes

Just few days ago I became aware that I can get a few dedicated extension tubes and get into macro photography and my V1. I ordered 2 different sets - Meke (40€ for 10 and 16 mm tubes) and Dörr (120€ for 10, 16 and 21 mm tubes) and ... well ... did a small review :)

You can see the review here:

12124658466_b61c5e3aa6_z.jpg

Size comparison with and without tubes (30-110 lens @ 110mm)

12124654236_c6e4641f7a_z.jpg

Back