Jaded......

christilou

Legend
I've read that other people have gone through this but never really experienced it to such a degree myself. I don't have any enthusiasm to photograph anything at all and right now I feel I need to sell off some stuff and just have one system. I have a few things up for sale at the moment but I'm thinking of selling the Fuji X Pro 1 and three lenses. I find I don't really have any inclination to use it and have to try to remember that it's there in the cupboard. I used it on a vacation, all three lenses but find that the 60mm macro is the one I use the most and unfortunately it really doesn't cut it for the candid snap portraits that I like to do. Manual focus is not practical for me as the image wobbles about too much for me to see!

The ennuie will pass; you've see something that will motivate you to shoot again. Just keep a camera on you, so that when opportunity strikes, you'll be able to take advantage of it.

The E-M5's IBIS stabilization for manual focus has spoiled me, I guess, though some day the X-Pro's hybrid viewfinder will probably call to me.

If you feel like you need to sell equipment, maybe the options and mulitple systems are getting in the way of the vision. I don't know that, of course, but thought it worth throwing out there. The stuff of yours I've seen recently is uniformly excellent, so the feeling isn't an obstacle when you do break through and photograph something.

It happens. I've found that the best thing to do is not to fret about it. The desire to shoot will come back soon enough.

Just because you have several cameras you should not feel obligated to use every one of them all of the time. However, that does not mean that you need to sell off anything that you are not using at any particular moment, since you may want to return to it at some point. Cameras are not like children or pets; you can ignore them as much as you want and they will not cry or pout. :)

Having said that, I have found that I am more effective if I limit myself to one system. I find that if I go back and forth between different systems, it's almost as if there is a learning curve (albeit small) that I have to turn before feeling comfortable with the camera again.

Cheers,

Antonio

I never really got along with that Fuji 60mm either. Seeing what focal lengths you prefer, I would sell the Fuji system as well if I were in your shoes. I'm a Fuji fanboy, but I think your best work is with other systems.

And the joy of taking photos will come back soon. Isn't spring coming yet over there? I'd love to see some springtime macros.

Think yourself lucky photography is not your job. That can be the hardest thing about working is a creative field is having to be creative whether you like it or not. We all go through down periods.

As far as the camera, if the camera just does not click with me, generally time will not change that. That does not mean I don't spend time with the camera to see if I can come to terms with it--I actually have to spend a lot of time with a new camera. But even when I can use it smoothly, if I have no bonded with it, I probably won't. And if it is a personal camera, I just won't use it and I have enough stuff on my shelves to dust already.

I wouldn't say you're jaded, you're just maybe uninspired. Look at what is going on around you, are you bored? Nowhere interesting to shoot? Seriously day after day shooting the same things gets old even if you have a good enough attitude to carry on for several months. That's when I looked in toward macro because it opened up new views but again the same 'ol can get uninspiring. And sometimes... it's the winter blahs. Now, if it's not your surroundings or the overall winter malaise then you can look back at your gear and say.. why don't I want to use this one or that one, what isn't it doing for me.

Antonio is right, your cameras will be fine on a shelf for a while and if you rotate every few months that is acceptable, you don't have to shoot constantly with everything you have. Sometimes picking up a different one that functions in a different manner for you reignites the flame of creativity. Sometimes going from digital to film and vice versa, or using different lenses like fisheye or pinhole or sometimes even playing with post processing will wake up the sleeping muse. That isn't to say to go out and buy these things if you don't have them, don't overextend yourself seeking inspiration, but maybe look at what you do have and find new applications for it.

And.. like Hikari says, if you have spent a lot of time with a kit and it's just not for you then accept that and sell it off. Sometimes it can be really good gear but just not do it for you personally, just not have the feel or the intuitiveness for you and if it feels lackluster in your hands it won't make you want to use it. Some cameras are really nice-- for other people

All in all try not to let it get you down. I've been in a slump for a while now. Worse comes to worse use the down time to do things in the house or with friends or explore other hobbies. Then.. you can photograph your home improvements or your friends or your hobbies later! :D

I've read that other people have gone through this but never really experienced it to such a degree myself. I don't have any enthusiasm to photograph anything at all and right now I feel I need to sell off some stuff and just have one system. I have a few things up for sale at the moment but I'm thinking of selling the Fuji X Pro 1 and three lenses. I find I don't really have any inclination to use it and have to try to remember that it's there in the cupboard. I used it on a vacation, all three lenses but find that the 60mm macro is the one I use the most and unfortunately it really doesn't cut it for the candid snap portraits that I like to do. Manual focus is not practical for me as the image wobbles about too much for me to see!

If you haven't ever enjoyed the Fuji, then maybe it is time to let it go. If you have enjoyed it in the past, then I am with the others, don't sell yet. The enthusiasm for photography will come back... and when it does, thats the time to make the decision... not now...

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with dumping all your equipment or even a portion of your equipment. It's your call. All of us have seen your photography and (speaking for everybody), we think you have a good eye and real talent. As for the Fuji, it doesn't really matter what you shoot with, all that matters is that you shoot.

You're in what we call over here "a slump" ... as in a hitter's slump (baseball), a writer's slump and in your case a photog slump. The quickest way to get out of a slump is to power your way through. In baseball, you gotta swing away, as a writer you keyboard, even if it's crap you keyboard everyday and for photogs you shoot.

The principle reason a certain piece of equipment isn'r being used is because ... it isn't being used. Take the XP1 out of the cupboard and put it where it is easily seen and convenient to grab. Next time you leave the house or even just walk around the house, toss the camera over a shoulder. Have no expectation of shooting or even looking for an image ... just take it with you ... even if you don't shoot anything, keep taking the camera ... after a bit you will be seeing photographs and start taking some snaps. Don't worry about processing, just dump them in a folder labeled by date and walk away. simple as pie.

Gary

I love all of your portraits (oh, and flower pics too), regardless of the system they came from... :bravo-009:

I am in a similar mood right now, though.... started selling off a bunch of stuff and now down to 1 system with 2 bodies and 4 lenses (not counting my bride's Q), which still seems like too much really.

I'd guess most people involved in a creative endeavour hit patches like this.

I have a wee suggestion.

Leave aside your thoughts of changing gear right now. Do two things:

1. Do something (or several somethings) with what you have shot
- print some large, and hang or give away as gifts
- print some smaller, and again hang, stick them up on the fridge, or give away
- create a few photo books as modern albums

You may have done some of these things before. Do them again, differently. You will be examining your photographs, seeing what pleases, you, where you would like to change things, and most of all just enjoying your photographs.

2. Gear
Pick a camera. Apply a fixed focal length.Take it everywhere with you. Just shoot things that attract or interest you.

Or,
It may be useful to just put the stuff away for 30 days, enjoy what you have done, and ease the pressure.

I'd go with the first because I find it liberating. Remove the choice of camera, and just shoot.

Anyway, this too shall pass.

I get winter blues, and I am sick and tired of the scenery that is easily accessible to me. I have also sold gear in frustration ... I usually regret it. I feel like I have been in your shoes.

If you feel obligated to use the gear you spent a bunch of money on, perhaps selling some will help. If the gear doesn't fit your needs, selling some is fine. But, if it is a slump, just wait it out.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments and positive suggestions. I've been laid low with a virus for the past week and that hasn't helped! However this has been coming on for a while. Photographing the same old things because the weather is so awful here for months on end has just cemented my stupor. I don't like anything I've photographed lately. Also, I think I'm suffering from overload with all the new cameras and test pics available, it's mind boggling. I feel I definitely need to try and simplify my gear and find out what's really useful to me. It would also be good for me to get to know a single camera properly for once:) I'd like to sort through my pics and make some books from them, especially my middle daughter's New York wedding last May, haven't even done that yet! I also have a couple of trips in the diary and I'm looking forward to seeing new people and places. Today the sun is shining and it really is "sunny Frimley" Lightmancer :D

Hi Christilou. My advice would be to stop shooting for a while. Put your cameras aside as you realize that you are not obligated to photograph anything. In fact, the only thing you 'have' to do is breathe and eat. Apart from that, EVERYthing else is optional. Including bathing. ;)

After a while, you'll find yourself rested and perhaps a little interested in picking up a camera again. Heck, you've got a X-Pro 1, one of the few modern systems I DON'T have, hahaha! With the new Lightroom, you can process the Fuji raws like never before, too. But not until you set all that aside and allow your focus to move elsewhere until your natural desire to photograph blooms again.

I prefer the winter months. No need to get up so early for sunrise. When the sun is out its never to high. The air quality is generally better. Ok there is lots of rain and wind , but its great for b&w.
As for the gear issue. My experience is this is not a seasonal complaint.
If you want to sell something, do it.
If it makes you happy etc :)

Jaded, weary, tired, bored, fatigued, there is only one answer. REST. Mental, or physical, it's the same. rest of the mind, body, purpose, is healing. When we are rested, not just taking a break, but truly rested, we get our energy and purpose back.

I have had a bit of dead space lately. Winter was/is sort of drab and dead this year. I went for days without even picking up the camera, and even posted some equipment for sale. Fortunately, it did not sell. For yesterday, while visiting elderly friends from our church, I had the camera and saw an amazing collection of his wood work. Guess what, I shot like crazy!
Photography and/or new equipment is not enough to keep me excited. I need visual stimulant. Something that gives the little bits of the actual joy of living. That causes the camera to come out!

REST, it's a great healer.

Found a bit of inspiration. Not great photography. Miss Ann was so excited to have a visitor and some one to show Art's work to, that she was like a butterfly, from one "bloom" to the next. These are just a taste of Art's work, throughout their house. And Miss Ann is a oil and pencil artist in her own right. But I was glad I had taken the K-01 with me.

House with real Cedar shingles and plexiglass windows. The outhouse is complete with tolit paper roll.
House1.jpg

Farm truck parked under the end table.
Farm_truck.jpg

Stake bed truck.
Flat_bed_truck.jpg

And a few more....
Road_grader.jpg

Art is 80ish, and still very active. These are made in his small, but very complete workshop, behind the house.

Cheer up! There are better things ahead.

I've kept the Fuji X100 to hand today and I'm thinking I'll keep things simple for now. The K-01, NEX 5R and the Fuji X Pro + 3 are all now listed on Amazon. If they sell, they sell. They're my least used cameras. I'm hanging on to the Oly EM5 and lenses for the moment because they cover just about everything and I probably have the most investment here.

Back