Apple iPhone 6s-plus photos using the iOS Cortex Camera app.

Please feel free. But what about the guy in the background using the post to pick kis nose :)

The guy in the background has an interesting look as well, but because of the object blocking his head partially, I turned off the interest switch there.

Shooting just ahead of sunset, got some nice colors plus the shadows from the Ravenel bridge behind me.

iPhone 6s-plus, Cortex camera app.
Mtpleasant_Park28_s.jpg

Here's an interesting image for the iPhone/Cortex app - the colors aren't quite right, not yet anyway, but what amazes me is the quality along the right-left edges, which aren't cropped. Several small cameras I've had, notably the Panasonic LF1 and Leica 'C', were nowhere near this good edge-to-edge.

iPhone 6s-plus, Cortex camera app, braced.
Charleston_Downtown45_s.jpg

Here's a spontaneous (more or less, given set-up time) shot with the iPhone 6s-plus, using the Cortex camera app and the Olloclip 2x telephoto lens. I cropped some on the left, top, and bottom, so you can see the Olloclip len's softening on the right in the trees.

iPhone 6s-plus, Cortex camera app, OlloClip 2x lens (58 mm equiv.)
Mtpleasant_Park30_s.jpg

Two product shots: The first, in the Louis Vuitton store, had better luck with lighting than my last effort. The iPhone just gets the color right. The second item (earbud) is no ordinary earbud, although it is inexpensive. Modern technology allows these little 'buds' to provide a sound very close to their big brothers, given the right digital processing.

iPhone 6s-plus, Cortex camera app, indoor light.
Louis_Vuitton12_s.jpg

iPhone 6s-plus, Cortex camera app, inside of car at night.
Headphone_Fiio_Em3_01_s.jpg

This image is a common theme here - a recreation of the old style carriage doors of the horse and buggy days.

iPhone 6s-plus, Zeiss ExoLens, Cortex Camera App, outdoor exposure.
Charleston_Downtown64_s.jpg

Here's a case where the iPhone Cortex camera app (which combines multiple frames into one image automatically) might not be ideal, or fail outright. Since the app shoots multiple images and combines them automatically, it has an option to "remove motion blur", which works well in some street scenes shooting handheld or with a monopod. Using a tripod or fixed support, Remove Motion Blur can be left off, but things like the wind blowing leaves can be a problem, even when the blur option is set on. I suspect that either way (I don't remember what I set for this shoot), the leaves motion also caused the edges to not be sharp, and that's not typical for the Zeiss lens' 17 mm field of view. Anyway, I'm happy with the end result here.

iPhone 6s-plus, Zeiss ExoLens, Cortex Camera App, daylight exposure.
Charleston_Church_Circular01_s.jpg

Zeiss Exo-lens? (Love the cortex camera app!)

The first available Zeiss iPhone lens ($200 USD) was the wide angle (0.6 x or 17.4 mm eff. FL), which amazingly enough shoots with little to no distortion and reasonable sharpness edge to edge. That is quite a contrast to the $100 OlloClip wide lens (0.5 or 14.5 mm), which has fisheye effects and a lot of edge blur. Someone here or on another forum has a $12 3-in-one Android phone lens ($12 !) and their macros aren't bad at all. But I feel pretty confident that there won't be any really cheap wide lenses that perform more or less like a Nikon or Canon etc. The Zeiss is actually better than I expected.

Back