Apple iPad 2 - DNG files

christilou

Legend
I just noticed that my iPad isn't seeing the DNG files from the Leica X1. I used it all summer with the Ricoh GXR RAW + JPG and it seems fine with the Pentax RAW + JPG but for some reason although it indicates that it's loading the Leica X1 RAW + JPG, I can't seem to access them in any way. I have both Snapseed and photoforge loaded. Am I missing some setting somewhere?

Hi christilou,
Unfortunately it seems to be a bit of a process working on raw files from a Leica on the ipad 2. I import raw files directly into the photos app via the apple camera connection kit from my M8. I then go into the purchased photoraw app to convert the file to jpeg. Then I import the jpeg into snapseed for editing. Photoraw also has some editing controls but I have never used them.
I have been able to import my raw images directly into snapseed from iphoto but the images are a lot smaller and hard to work on compared to the larger version produced through photoraw.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for letting me know, it seems a bit of a palaver! I think I'll just set it for colour JPEGS instead of the B & W when I want to use Photoforge. It's a lot of faffing about otherwise. It seems rather odd since DNG is supposed to be the most commonly used RAW and the Ricoh GXR uses DNG too.

The iPad doesn't actually read the raw data, natively. It uses the embedded jepg from the raw file. This works well in most situations until Leica only puts a tiny preview file into their DNG files. That's why you need an app to convert to jepg. I also, have started shooting raw+jepg to make it easy for myself.

Gordon

Still having trouble with the iPad and Camera Roll. I have over 200 pictures on here and I can't seem to get rid of them. Googled the question and tried a couple of suggestions but nothing seems to work!

I have it synched to i tunes and have also tried to sync it to iPhoto and delete from there but although it allows me to highlight the list, when I press delete they remain!

I have it synched to i tunes and have also tried to sync it to iPhoto and delete from there but although it allows me to highlight the list, when I press delete they remain!

Have you tried the app PhotoRaw? It recognises RAW files from the X1.
I've had it on my Ipad 1 for ages after reading good reviews but never got round to using it.

Just spotted there's a free lite version to try

I'm thinking you want to be able to bypass iTunes and go directly into the storage on the iPad so you can find and delete the unwanted files. Here's a utility program for Mac that purportedly does that:

Mount iPhone And iPad In Finder As Local USB Disk Drive [Mac]

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this!

Back