Introducing Myself

bonjac

Rookie
Name
Jack
Hi to all, My name is Jack and I just joined serious compacts. I'm a big fan of compact cameras. I have spent a lot of time lugging a DSLR and all the gadgets around and found it awkward and bulky. I have been shooting for about 5 years and started from a point of no experience whatsoever. For the longest time I basically believed there were only two kinds of cameras: Dslr for real photographers and point&shoot for rank amateurs. I belong to a camera club where camera size and price are the hallmarks of real photographers. But by chance, I met a fellow doing some photography and we got to talking. He was using a very small camera and I remarked about its size. He told me it was a Leica M8 and showed me some images on his laptop. I was amazed. Subsequently, I rented a Leica (not an easy thing to do) and tried it out. It was light, unobtrusive, easy to use, intuitive, not overly complicated, and the results were impressive. I was hooked. Leica prices are out of my league for right now. So I did some research, found out about the Ricoh GXR with an M mount and here I am. I didn't realize there was a site like this and delighted to have found it. I look forward to "meeting" you and sharing experiences and information. My primary photo interests are landscape and street shooting. However, I shoot whatever grabs my eye. My first m lens is a Minolta Rokkor 40mm. I use Aperture on an iMac for my processing and editing. I tend to shoot RAW. Cheers, Jack

Welcome, Jack!

I'm a recovering DSLR user myself. I have a stable of micro four thirds cams and lenses, and a Panasonic LX7 that now goes everywhere with me.

This is a great online community and this and Mu-43 are the only ones I belong to. Great people (and many of the same people, lol) on both.

Hi Jack, glad your journey has brought you here. Sometimes I think I'd like a DSLR, and then I remember you have to carry it.
I use Aperture as well on MacBook Pro. I'm not very good with it, I probably use about 5% of its capability. One day I will learn more.

The photo challenges are a good way to get yourself started here - give it a go, get some pictures up and I look forward to seeing what you've been up to with the Ricoh

Hi Jack, sounds like you've had quite the photographic revelation! I like the idea of the GXR, although I don't think it fits my particular needs right now. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Hi Jack

Welcome to Serious Compacts! Somewhere in my cupboard I have a GXR with the 28mm and 50mm module. Not used it over the winter but when Edinburgh livens up a bit no doubt I will hit the streets with it again. Look forward to seeing your images and posts on the Forum.

Back