Interesting quote

wt21

Hall of Famer
"Over the last century the camera has emerged and evolved as a popular art form, culminating, in this moment of the selfie. In our phones, the camera has become something other than it has ever been, demonstrating just how the technology and culture of the Internet has changed humankind. … Social media gives us each the power to share our selves with the world, and so we don't share our view of the world anymore—that would be pointless as any view in the world is merely a Google image search away. Instead, we share our view of ourselves."

—The Daily Dot contributor Nicholas White [thedailydot.com, 4/24/14]

While the supposition that the camera's evolution has culminated in the selfie is ludicrous, the observation about sharing is indeed interesting. Makes me wonder where we truly go from here.

The roots of our age of fear and narcism is nicely documented in "Century of the Self", a BBC documentary. Highly recommended.

Hard to find, but here's the first episode on Vimeo

[video=vimeo;67977038]

This reminds me of the chap who declared "the end of history" when the Berlin Wall fell...

I smell the same sort of pseudo-intellectual pretentious bullsh1t as is found in the pages of "Camera Lucida"

Roland Barthes was hardly a "pseudo" intellectual. You might not like the way he expressed himself or perhaps the way he was translated, but he was "the real deal"

Ah perhaps I was not clear. I am well aware of Barthes, and the cathartic context in which he wrote Camera Lucida. It is the book that is pseudo-intellectual pretentious bullsh1t, not the man. His concepts of stadium and punctum have encouraged more twaddle than a Simon Cowell vehicle.

Oh well I found it interesting useful and thought-provoking to read. The fact that it contains some conceptually suspect material doesn't make it rubbish, any more than it makes the Tractatus rubbish.

But as ever, chacun à son goût.

Back on topic, however, Mr. White doesn't really seem to have grasped the idea that making an image of the self expressly implies the expression of a view of the world.

Still, clear thinking has always been in very short supply in the world, and the elevation of all and every opinion to public view via the "blogosphere" only serves to confirm that.

get off my lawn

I'm not nearly as well read to keep up with the discussion here at the bottom half of the thread, but all I was thinking was, if you feel like you can find an image in a second, and it may be a better image than the one you take, then why bother? I felt this on my recent trip to Bryce Canyon. I did take pictures, but I remember distinctly feeling like I didn't need to shoot that many, because it's all available to show to my family on the internet, when I get back.

For us older types, who grew up without the internet, we might see this quite differently than the younger ones who grow up with the world on their cell phone. If taking pictures of the Eiffel tour is no longer needed to share the view with your family, then maybe putting yourself in the picture makes it different/unique, and therefore the selfie.

For me, the cumulation of the camera is a Nikon D4S with the new Nikon 800mm f5.6 lens stuck on the end of it........... but I'm simplistic and that would be greedy

you can stick your camera phone selfie's up you Barack Obama, (don't get me wrong I like the guy and so does my wife)......... all this social media and similar stuff is a load of rubbish created to make money for the capitalist US, (don't get me wrong, I liked the country, but not sure about my wife)

My first reaction to that quote was that I didn't think that way at all. The only social media I am involved in are a couple of photo forums (99% of which is right here) and Flickr...in that I have gotten to be friends with some of the photographers on there and enjoy the give and take..

I will say, however, that if I were on a trip with friends and/or family, my desire would certainly include having pictures of those on the trip with me, with the scenic/historical/interesting backdrop as well as without them. As for having my self in any of the photos, that doesn't happen often since I tend to be the one with the camera - however, I'd be quite glad to have myself in one or two of the pictures for memory's sake...my own and ultimately my offspring's for when I'm no longer around.

P.S. Paul, I'm sure Bill will get a kick out of your remark!

Back