Innocent Me: I had NO idea...

Though I did wonder how all those people got so many followers on INstagram... still and all, its cheating. I dont much like Instagram, I just don't "get" it. I've posted a few shots but its not something that enthralls me. Apparently thats not the case for many.

I Spent Two Years Botting on Instagram -- Here's What I Learned

The interesting conclusion to be drawn from this is that Instagram is all about bots liking bots. No human intervention required.

And, even as I was typing, a bot "liked" a random shot of mine. Oh joy.

I have been on instagram for many years. But, I never knew any of this about the bots. It is not too surprising.
Also, have never had many followers or likes on my postings despite being featured by several hashtag admins. I really only maintain the account to share photos with a few of my friends who I never see often. Couldn't really care less if I grew more followers. I have really been tempted to close the account since Facebook polluted the streams with so much advertisement.
I will say that if you look around you will find some amazing photographers and photographs there.
If your interested you can see my gallery here:

don lawrence (@donlaw100) • Instagram photos and videos

Just wondering, is Flickr victim to this sort of thing as well?
To a certain extend, at least; there are promotional algorithms ("Explore"?) that apparently can be fed and attracted, so I'm pretty sure some people have figured out ways to influence the system to "like" (i.e. promote) their images. I don't remember where I read about this (on here, I think - didn't Jock Eliott post about something similar?), but it appears pretty likely you can manipulate your way to fame there as well.

M.

To a certain extend, at least; there are promotional algorithms ("Explore"?) that apparently can be fed and attracted, so I'm pretty sure some people have figured out ways to influence the system to "like" (i.e. promote) their images. I don't remember where I read about this (on here, I think - didn't Jock Eliott post about something similar?), but it appears pretty likely you can manipulate your way to fame there as well.

M.

No, it wasn't me. I don't do social media. I participate in 3 or 4 online forums (mostly this one), and that's it.

Cheers, Jock

You can. All social media is prone to botting. It's another way in which reality is distorted.

Right! Which is why I become extremely suspicious when someone announces: "such and such is trending on (insert name of social media here)." Is it really trending or is it trending because of bots bought and paid for by someone or some organization with an agenda that wants you to think that it is trending? We live in an age of media deception.

Cheers, Jock

I have said it before and I shall say it again.

If you are not paying for the product, you are the product.

Botting is just another manifestation of this truism.

By the way, try "Internet AWACs" - some interesting insights to be gained on some otherwise "trustworthy" Twitter accounts...

I don't post on IG very often. It seems to me that most of the likes come from people with something to sell, just another way of advertising themselves. I block quite a lot which is easy enough to do.

I've never even seen Instagram (except for a few shots I know a friend of mine has cross-posted to Flickr). But as I mentioned in another thread, the bots love me, so maybe I should check out IG. Sounds like I'd be a hit. And golly wouldn't that be good for my self-esteem. To be loved by bots, the greatest love of all, or the love that dare not speak it's name???

-Ray

I used to post pictures on FaceBook but closed my account over a year ago. It's not for me. A few co-workers and family members emailed asking how they could continue to see my photos. I opened an IG account and post there as well as view other's photos. It provides a social media space in which I can post or view without having to wade through an ocean of dialogue and opinions. The best posts on there are the ones our daughters post of our grandchildren(y)

I've never even seen Instagram (except for a few shots I know a friend of mine has cross-posted to Flickr). But as I mentioned in another thread, the bots love me, so maybe I should check out IG. Sounds like I'd be a hit. And golly wouldn't that be good for my self-esteem. To be loved by bots, the greatest love of all, or the love that dare not speak it's name???

-Ray

Wouldn't be so bad if it was some of the "bots" from Westworld... especially the one that looks like Thandie Newton. :2thumbs: :cloud-9-039: :D

As it happens, and in a similar vein I came across this very interesting article on the BBC today. Although not camera related specifically, it exhorts you to search for "Hands" or "face" in google images.......and see what you come up with. Does the result show any level of diversity? The article is non political and I don't think it will be considered offensive (the BBC would be horrified at offending!) . It is very interesting reading as I never ever really gave it any thought. The way these algorithms are built can affect even skin cancer diagnosis and facial recognition software

I have not tried it yet, but will face recognition algorithm settings in Sony or Fuji or Canon/Nikon cameras recognise anything other than white faces? I have no idea. Worryingly, but unintentionally .....it is not something I ever gave any thought to when I use my camera.

Artificial intelligence: How to avoid racist algorithms

Artificial intelligence: How to avoid racist algorithms - BBC News

I am thinking of going completely analogue...........

I did for a while until I saw the price of film. And not just that. I removed my darkroom a couple of years before I bought my first digital camera because
A/ My wife printed for wedding photographers
B/ My friend owned the lab where my wife worked.
So I got good D&P rates that I can not get again. Last but not least. Several of my friends went back to film only to return to digital.

I did for a while until I saw the price of film. And not just that. I removed my darkroom a couple of years before I bought my first digital camera because
A/ My wife printed for wedding photographers
B/ My friend owned the lab where my wife worked.
So I got good D&P rates that I can not get again. Last but not least. Several of my friends went back to film only to return to digital.

I occasionally get the urge to go analogue again, so I now have a couple of films in the cupboard which I've used, and now cant find anywhere for developing. I'll send them away. Sometime. I prefer digital. I prefer its immediacy. I don't like the stink of the darkroom. I have no idea what possessed me to think I could return to film. Madness.

Back