Ricoh Images using the 21mm wide angle lens on the Ricoh GR

Flyingmariner

Hi Guys....

After introducing myself to this wonderful forum I was asked if I could provide some examples using the Ricoh GR 21 mm adaptor.
I haven't had much time to familiarise myself with the camera but my initial impressions are more than I hoped for.
I also shoot with a Fuji X100 and was considering the 28mm adaptor but for my shooting needs it do not go wide enough.
Hence after reading several reviews on the Ricoh GR and it's 21mm adaptor I took the plunge.
Please bear in mind these pictures are SOOC, with camera set to auto using JPEG file format.
The camera was on a tripod and I used the self timer with a 2nd delay.
Hope they are useful for anybody considering the adaptor. I'm very pleased I purchased it.
Kind regards,
Wayne.

21 mm
GR 21..jpg

28 mm
GR 28..jpg

21 mm
GR 21.jpg

28 mm
GR 28.jpg

Thanks for posting these Wayne! I need to look at these on my bigger screen later but it is good to see some real life pictures surfacing finally...:) I am definitely interested in this converter for occasional wider angles than the 28mm GR lens, seems like a relatively cheap and quite decent solution.

Hi.....
Your welcome Armanius.....
I am based in the U.K. and purchased the adapter and wide angle lens with the camera from a local supplier.
I am very pleased with it. Very little, if any distortion at 21mm and a bargain buy.
21mm equivalent at f2.8 wow!!!
Kind regards,
Wayne.

The lens is indeed good. It is very worthwhile getting a filter converter to 67mm. I did this, got a 67mm lens cap, and I'm running a 67mm B+W nano CP filter. It has only very slight vignetting in the corners. Very usable. Have not tried a single glass filter yet.

Fyingmariner... thanks for starting this thread and for the photos!

I am a big fan of the GR and of the 20-21mm equivalent focal length. I have the GR, so this wide angle lens has great appeal to me. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more from/about the lens.

Can you post a photo or two of the GR with the lens attached?

Here are a few quick and dirty images of the wide and adaptor, plus a 67mm filter converter and CP filter attached.
Also an image direct of camera RAW showing just a little vignette. Probably none if using a lens protect filter only

Dropbox - Error

I will say, I do wish I went for the 62-72mm step up filter adaptor. I reckon that would get rid of edge issues. I'll test it out with a cheapo setup sometime. Anyone else trying stepup filter adaptors? Great way to protect this large front element.

On the cheap, I'm now going to use a 62-77 stepup ring, and use my existing Hoya Pro-1 CP. I'll post results for edges after that

Hi.....
Sorry for the slow reply.
"uptime4downtime" has beat me to it, but here's a few pictures showing the adaptor fitted and then the lens.
The adaptor is also very useful when used with the hood to prevent flare.
The 21mm lens also comes with a rubber hood.

Attachments

• DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,373
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,333
  • DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,319
  • DSCF0058.JPG
    DSCF0058.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,291
flyingmariner... thanks for the product images!

Are users of the WA lens finding virtually the same IQ from the camera or is there some noticeable loss of IQ when using the WA lens?

I got mine a while ago, and although it's great to have that 21mm capability with the GR, there is a bit of drop in image quality. I find that the corners and edges are a touch blurry, and there seems to be some distortion and chromatic aberration, too. But you wouldn't expect there to be no drop in quality, not for AUD$300. The centre is still very sharp, though.

The GR by itself compares very favourably with the Leica M9 and Zeiss 28/2.8, with the Leica having an edge in resolution and colour depth. But the Ricoh is far from a slouch, considering that it delivers very comparable image quality at a tenth or 11th of the original price. With the 21mm adapter, the image quality does not compare as well with the M9 + Zeiss 21/2.8, though. Much more distortion and purple fringing.

Back