Fuji If I need a not so serious compact...

Based exclusive on a database search with multiple criteria, so no human feeling involved :) Samsung NX1100 - at $269 is the smallest price you can find an APS-C sensor, 222 grams without lens.
Anything else is either more than 300 grams, either more than $300, either not "serious enough" :)

What about Sony rx100 mk2 (28-100 fov LCD only) or rx100 mk3 (24-70 w/ evf)? I have the first gen rx100.. It will fit in a front jean pocket or on a belt holster. The mk2 is still available for a pretty reasonable price. One inch sensor in a very compact p&s type camera body.

Gary

Just goes to show that we are all different. Played with it 2 / 3 times in shops and absolutely loathed it,

I loathed my initiallly, but have grown to just a moderate dislike. The problem I have is there is nothing similar in size that can deliver similar results.

Well, depending on how good you want the IQ to be – here's my 2 cents: When I travel, I am annoyed by the stuff that you have to bring along to make the camera work: Batteries and chargers. Now, here's a thought: The battery in the Fuji X100 is the same as:

- Ricoh GXR
- Fuji F30
- Fuji F31

I have tried F30 batteries in the other two cameras, they are really, truly, fully identical. Also, the chargers work interchangeably.

The latter two cameras are fairly old, but were very famous for their good IQ back in the day. If 6 MP are enough for you (and recently, some people decide that their EXR mode is good enough, think about that), then the F30/31 are a good choice if:

- you don't want to pay much (they go for very little)
- they use the same battery as the X100
- and they can charge batteries in camera!

So you take the X100 on your day out and leave the F30 in the hotel, charging another battery. When you go out at night you take the F30 which is very small, and not expensive should it get lost. Still, they have A and M modes, easy-to-set exposure compensation, very useable ISO 800 and a fairly nice lens. Since the charger needs 5 volts, you can even use a USB cable to charge the camera. So, this solution couldn't be more lightweight: except for a piece a cable (5 grams?), you only carry actual picture-taking gear...

If you think 6MP is too old school, the GXR system is being sold out at the moment:

- With the S10 module, the GXR is very small, has good IQ (1/1.7" sensor) and a useful zoom range (24-70 mm eq., I believe)
- With the P10 module, the GXR is equally small, has okay IQ in good light (1/2.3" sensor) and a huge zoom (28-300 eq.)

I am not sure whether the GXR system, too, will charge in camera.

Come to think of it: With the GXR being so cheap at the moment, you might come to buy the other modules for it (APS-C: 50mm macro or 28mm prime, or 24-85mm zoom) or the Leica M mount (still one of the best non-Leica solutions to using M glass).

In a nutshell:
Fuji F30/31 for small, throw-away cheap, and very, very useful.
Ricoh GXR for small, and potentially interesting extension of your system.

Again, just my thoughts -- what do you think?

Back