Leica I want a Leica M (240)

I just don't like DSLRs. And I don't like digital cameras without an EVF. If there were another real digital rangefinder I'd be all over it. But there isn't. I just like rangefinders and I like digital. So I'm bound to Leica, for now. For *me* the usage challenges, the simplicity, the build and most of all the rangefinder is more fun. More satisfying. Mostly with DSLRs I feel more and more disconnected from the image. After 25 years of them I think I'm just sick of looking at everything through a wide open aperture.

Sure the Olympus, Sony and Fuji cameras can be fun for a bit. But they feel a bit soulless, to me. I pretty much know that if a camera has more than one page of menu items it's not going to be something I really bond with. And if it doesn't have an integrated EVF forget about it.

I appreciate that most cameras can produce stunning images. But they don't make me want to carry them everyday like a rangefinder does. Yes. I already know I'm weird.

Gordon

Gordon, if you are weird then so am I, as I feel exactly as you do.

Buying my M9P put an end to camera GAS for me (at least as far as digital cameras are concerned; film is another story). I truly enjoy the view through a rangefinder, and having a camera where the three principal functions (ss, aperture, focus) are at your fingertips at all times is truly liberating. As to IQ, I have not used an RX-1, Coolpix A, or any of the other cameras to which the M has been compared in the posts above, but I have nothing but praise for the M9P image quality. Up to ISO640, unbeatable in my opinion. Above 640, perfectly usable with a judicious application of NR in ACR or Nik Dfine. I have published photos from the M9P taken at ISO 2500. The ability to seamlessly transition between it and my M6TTL is an added bonus.

There are three aspects of the M (240) that attract me to it: quicker writing to the card, higher resolution screen, and live view. Live view would be useful for me because I take a fair amount of museum exhibition hall photos with either my 18mm ZM Distagon on the M9P, or a 10-22 EF-S on my Canon 50D. Framing with the external viewfinder on the M9P is very much hit or miss and getting precise framing usually takes a few tries. I use live view on the 50D for this purpose, but the IQ of the Canon combo is not close to being at the same level, mostly because the lens smears the corners. I believe the new M would allow me to finally put my Canon system to rest.

Other than that, I know I could be happy with the M9P for many more years. Again, since it appears the M will not be available for at least another year, it's a decision I will not have to make for a while.

Cheers,

Antonio

Let me be very clear. I'm not saying that it's silly to buy a Leica or to spend that kind of money on a camera. I understand that beyond a certain point small improvements come with an increasingly higher price tag. If I made a lot more money, I'd certainly own one even if it didn't improve my photography because I suspect I would enjoy using such a finely made device. My expectations would certainly be high, however.

Since I'm maxed out, stretched further than I really could justify as a photo hobbyist purchasing my M-E plus you can't find the new M in stock I have no desire for the M.

Now if I had a reason to shoot real wide then the Ms Liveview would be a major benefit.

But I agree that today's sensor are incredibly good and for me its the shooting experience that means more to me. There's nothing like I've ever experienced handling my M-E and me having complete control. I carry my camera everywhere I go.

I have shot the new M when I attended the new Leica Miami store grand opening. The quieter shutter is a nice feature too.

As much as I "want" one, it won't happen. Unless I win the lottery, the M9 will likely be the last Leica digital rangefinder I get. Maybe seven years from now, the M will be widely available for $3000. But I will probably get the RX5 instead, with its built in EVF and the 35/1.4 Zeiss lens!

At base iso, in my personal ranking the M9 comes in second after Sigmas DPM. However, the Coolpix A is probably as good as the M9 with a 28mm lens. This guy even thought it would beat a M240 with the 28 Summicron: Tim Ashley Photography | Blog.
Not to be missunderstood: I don`t want a M240 at its list price. But I will continue to shoot and enjoy my M9 until it falls apart as the RF experience is unique and more satisfying to me than anything else. Who knows, until then used M240 or its successor can be had for USD 2000 or less ;) and I might buy one.

See. You just had to mention the Merrils. I'm currently avoiding all mention of them as much more will see me with another three cameras. I must resist. I must resist.

At least for another few days.

Gordon

I haven't read the Tim Ashley's site for a while. His observations are interesting and higher MP sensors are putting a challenge to older lenses, even for Leica. We'll see how Sony ff mirrorless and Zeiss designs will resolve these. Current af Zeiss lenses for nex are bigger then comparable rf/mirrorless lenses. Sony RX1 is a perfect lens-sensor design match. Interesting article:

Tim Ashley Photography | Leica M240 - The Final Inspection: Does it Pass Muster?

At base iso, in my personal ranking the M9 comes in second after Sigmas DPM. However, the Coolpix A is probably as good as the M9 with a 28mm lens. This guy even thought it would beat a M240 with the 28 Summicron: Tim Ashley Photography | Blog.
Not to be missunderstood: I don`t want a M240 at its list price. But I will continue to shoot and enjoy my M9 until it falls apart as the RF experience is unique and more satisfying to me than anything else. Who knows, until then used M240 or its successor can be had for USD 2000 or less ;) and I might buy one.

I'll eventually get one just for the lovely new shutter, although it should have gone to 1/8000.

I don't know if they could have made the shutter quite as lovely if it went to 1/8000. Really is a nice shutter sound on that camera. Makes my M9 sound like a Bessa.

If I were going to nitpick the new M, it would be the extra girth (I prefer the M6 size to the M9 and the M9 size to the new M), but really I'd be happy to take on that girth for the better DR and lower noise performance. OTOH, I'd rather spend the money on other things, so it isn't in the cards for me.

LOL..... he needs to start thinking about college funds. Those kids need a good education so they can keep him surrounded by the quality of cameras that he is accustomed........even well after he can no longer take care of himself (or run these forums anymore).

By that time there will be collegecare!

I'm fair and square in the Steve (drd) and Bill (lightmancer) camp on this one. I don't want an M240, but if I had that sort of money I would buy me a black MP a la carte with my name across the back (it can then live beyond me, and be my legacy;)) and a nice 'Lux and a few thousand feet of Tri-X and with the change buy a Fuji X-system and a ticket to a place to shoot with my cameras...

M240 - seems a most "un-Leica" camera to me

You may as well go one step better, (i.e. Auto Focus), and buy a Nikon - saving loads of $$$£££
Nikon glass is up there with Leica in this digital age - (I say that as a Leica user for some time, film and them an M8).

don't really understand it??

Bill. My experience with the 240 is about 30-45 minutes, in total. But it felt just like a digital M to me. If you don't add the EVF it functions just like a rangefinder should, but with better frame lines (2meters) and a nicer shutter. Live view and video are a free add on to any camera with a CMOS sensor. You don't have to use tham and they're not dominant in the operation of the camera. If you liked the M8 you'll love the 240. It still has that rangefinder thing that no DSLR can give you.

You can always have both. :)

Gordon

I'm fair and square in the Steve (drd) and Bill (lightmancer) camp on this one. I don't want an M240, but if I had that sort of money I would buy me a black MP a la carte with my name across the back (it can then live beyond me, and be my legacy;)) and a nice 'Lux and a few thousand feet of Tri-X and with the change buy a Fuji X-system and a ticket to a place to shoot with my cameras...

I think an a la carte MP goes for pretty much the same amount of money as the M (240). So, not much money left over for Tri-X. :rolleyes: It would be a lovely camera to own, though.

Cheers,

Antonio

Bill. My experience with the 240 is about 30-45 minutes, in total. But it felt just like a digital M to me. If you don't add the EVF it functions just like a rangefinder should, but with better frame lines (2meters) and a nicer shutter. Live view and video are a free add on to any camera with a CMOS sensor. You don't have to use tham and they're not dominant in the operation of the camera. If you liked the M8 you'll love the 240. It still has that rangefinder thing that no DSLR can give you.

You can always have both. :)

Gordon

Again, I'm with you on this one.

Antonio

Somewhat OT here, but Mark's comment made me think. I want a setting called "How I remember Tri-X". I shot a lot of Tri-X with my old Honeywell Pentax SP500, and what I remember most was the incredible latitude it had. About the only fatal exposure error was forgetting to take off the lens cap. I like much of the high contrast B&W I see on this forum, but I also appreciate the richness of high DR monochrome. When I saw the monochrome Leica body (I forget the designation) my reaction was such a specialized body would be worth it if it truly shot like I remember Tri-X.

I think an a la carte MP goes for pretty much the same amount of money as the M (240). So, not much money left over for Tri-X. :rolleyes: It would be a lovely camera to own, though.

Cheers,

Antonio

Been there, done that. I had a chrome, plain top deck MP4 .85 (no 28 or 75mm framelines), leather-clad. It was a delight, but to be absolutely honest I prefer my M2 for silky smoothness, bomb-proof construction and uncluttered viewfinder.

Sent from another Galaxy

Gordon, if you are weird then so am I, as I feel exactly as you do.

Buying my M9P put an end to camera GAS for me (at least as far as digital cameras are concerned; film is another story). I truly enjoy the view through a rangefinder, and having a camera where the three principal functions (ss, aperture, focus) are at your fingertips at all times is truly liberating. As to IQ, I have not used an RX-1, Coolpix A, or any of the other cameras to which the M has been compared in the posts above, but I have nothing but praise for the M9P image quality. Up to ISO640, unbeatable in my opinion. Above 640, perfectly usable with a judicious application of NR in ACR or Nik Dfine. I have published photos from the M9P taken at ISO 2500. The ability to seamlessly transition between it and my M6TTL is an added bonus.

There are three aspects of the M (240) that attract me to it: quicker writing to the card, higher resolution screen, and live view. Live view would be useful for me because I take a fair amount of museum exhibition hall photos with either my 18mm ZM Distagon on the M9P, or a 10-22 EF-S on my Canon 50D. Framing with the external viewfinder on the M9P is very much hit or miss and getting precise framing usually takes a few tries. I use live view on the 50D for this purpose, but the IQ of the Canon combo is not close to being at the same level, mostly because the lens smears the corners. I believe the new M would allow me to finally put my Canon system to rest.

Other than that, I know I could be happy with the M9P for many more years. Again, since it appears the M will not be available for at least another year, it's a decision I will not have to make for a while.

Cheers,

Antonio

Count me in. I would be all over a rangefinder in the "1/2 of what Leica M's cost" range. Even a fixed lens rangefinder would be great. I echo the sentiments above about how using a rangefinder is a different (and enjoyable) experience.

I've got an RX1 and LOVE it...the IQ is stunning and the dynamic range is to die for....but...the viewfinder situation is horrible. I hate LCD shooting, I don't much care for EVF's, I currently have a Voigtlander BrightLine viewfinder on it and that's as good as it gets for this camera, for me.

M240... Maybe, but certainly not until they get the color right, and production flowing. But I am going in a different direction now. I have my Monochrom, M9 & M7. The Monochrom has changed everything for me. I was really happy with my lens kit... but now I am only shooting with my newer ASPH lenses. I have the 50mm APO-Summicron ASPH on order. I may upgrade my Noctilux to the newest version also. While I love the softer lenses on my M9, the Monochrom seems to really shine with the newer sharper lens. So until I am settled where I am at, the M 240 or what ever follows it will have to wait.

Back