Film I tried

Tim Williams

All-Pro
Name
Tim Williams
I am going to move on from serious film photography. I will keep my F100 but the F1, T90, and Oly OM2n will go along with the lens. My eyes have frustrated me to where photography became a burden and not a pleasure. I have always been a Nikon shooter so between that and my Fuji system with adapter I will be ok. The F100 will have to do the focusing. Thanks for all the help.
Tim

Sorry, I should have said manual focus cameras which I equate film with. The Oly is not bad to focus but it's still hard for me to nail it. You are correct the F100 is a serious piece of equipment but autofocus feels like cheating in a way. Guess this is just bitching about ageing eyesight. The vision in my mind is still there, it will just require a different toolset to achieve the image I see. I have also thought about medium format, we'll see where this road takes me.

I share your pain...my eyesight isn't what it used to be either. (true for so many things.....)

I like to envision the image before I capture it, autofocus is just a tool to help with some of the technical aspects of the image. I consider it to be similar to a light meter in that respect. Like you, I've pretty much given up on the manual focus cameras and lenses.

For Medium Format, I use a Mamiya 645 SLR. Interchangeable backs give some flexibility and the lenses aren't too expensive.

As my Grandfather used to say: "Getting old is hell, but look at the alternative!"

Sorry, I should have said manual focus cameras which I equate film with. The Oly is not bad to focus but it's still hard for me to nail it. You are correct the F100 is a serious piece of equipment but autofocus feels like cheating in a way. Guess this is just bitching about ageing eyesight. The vision in my mind is still there, it will just require a different toolset to achieve the image I see. I have also thought about medium format, we'll see where this road takes me.

My eyesight is not very good (and I am not old) at all and manual focus is difficult for me too especially with 35mm SLRs, I am fine with the RB67 MF camera and waist level viewfinder. I have switched to using auto focus most of the time now, cheating or not :), I would rather make images on film/digital than not at all. I just see autofocus as a different way to focus, that's all. I think there is nothing wrong with using your F100 and keep making images your way. Look forward to seeing your pictures :).

BTW, is the F100 a Nikon camera?

I've heard trying different focusing screens can help if you have models that allow you to swap them out.

My eyesight is also on the slide - I find myself favouring a higher aperture over shutter-speed to provide that extra bit of DoF in the focus-zone just so I don't need to be spot-on when focusing manually. I also need to learn not to jerk/flinch when firing the shutter - I could get away with it on a higher shutter speed (or faster film) but need to steady my hands/breathing a little bit more (also, I've gotten use to image-stabilisation on my digital Olys).

The focusing engine and large viewfinder on the F100 is great though - definitely worth sticking with it. Look forward to see some more of your pics.

Yes the F100 is a Nikon which is great because that what I shoot digital along with Fuji. With the Fuji I can cheat also using the rear screen in live view to focus my manual Nikon Lens . This really helps with macro, or in my case it just helps period. But I have my Chemistry in place along with the supplies and I have been shooting an image at least every other day. Now I am on vacation so when I get back I hope to have several rolls to start developing. I have a very good screen on the T90 and think that will be my best manual performer and the Oly is not bad either. I have 3 different screens for the F1 but haven't got comfortable with any of them. But all of them when light is lower are difficult, and of course I'm shooting at 2.8-4 then so margin for error is slim. I'll get past it. I won't quit, it just gets frustrating now to not be able to do the things that were so easy not that long ago.
Thanks, Tim

Ok , first one to go is the F1 (my favorite). I have tried them all for 4 days and my eyes just don't like this one no matter which screen I put in. There are two more that are very close. The T90 and the Om2n. The T90 may win because of the lens lineup although the Olympus team is not shabby. Up in the air, and will only be decided after development. The F100 gets a bye because it's autofocus. I have burned some film the last few days so the fun of developing begins. I would love to keep the Oly and may anyway, the T90 just fits me and the screen is ok in good light. Have to buy a scanner to get the final product . Any suggestions for a Newbie to scanning. :dash2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an Epson 650 scanner and am pretty happy with it. It's a flat bed, so it's not as good as a drum scanner - but I couldn't afford a drum scanner, so .........

I like my CanoScan 9000F Mk II - it's a flatbed, pretty reliable and works rather well with VueScan (which you can try - and even, to some extend, use - for free) on Windows and GNU/Linux (Ubuntu, in my case). That said, a drum scanner (or at least semi-automatic motorised one that has film handling and precise focusing) is on my list - but quite some way down ... (yes, they're hideously expensive).

M.

My local Camera shop (40 miles ) has the CanoScan I believe. It will cost a little more there but the wealth of knowledge I get in return is more than worth it. If your ever in Central Florida check out Marshalls Camera in Auburndale. Great Mom and Pop candy store.

Back