I spent the day in an Asylum... a real one (LAST PICS ADDED)

One of the images had some criticism about the geometric corner distortion and the ball in the image I titled "Come and Play With Us! Forever and Ever and Ever..."

Frankly, I don't understand such criticism. This is what's cool about rectilinear ultrawides — they heavily exaggerate spatial relationships between the objects in the frame.

The only way to battle perspective distortion is to introduce some barrel distortion (DxO ViewPoint obviously does), but I guess it can also draw some criticism. You can't (and shouldn't) please everyone.

I've never enjoyed a series more. Subject matter, composition, development, narrative... I'd buy the photo-book. ;)

Ah, Chris, if only there were more like you! -- lol

Thanks much! Maybe I should do a relatively low-cost blurb book or something. It doesn't cost anything to create one anyway. I've dabbled in self publishing but I went with the hugely expensive photo books from Adorama and what not. I used them to do wedding books and that was great but it's too much money for a special-interest book. I think I'll look into it as I saw Ray Sachs book on Italy and the combination of his photography and the general quality feel of that book really worked.

What a fantastic wealth of material a site like this offers. Wonderful series of images; thanks for showing them.

Thank YOU!

There are so many types of "explorers" of these places. Some use cell phones and just take "trophy" photos to show they've been there, some are more serious. Some care not for photos at all and some are taggers and unfortunately most of them aren't a "Banksy" or artistic tagger -- they just scrawl nicknames, obscenities, and/or nonsense. A few though write thoughtful things and I've actually used those in my photos.

So, many of us want to see what's there -- you're right that there are many possible "scenes" to take in an marvel at.

Back