I spent the day in an Asylum... a real one (LAST PICS ADDED)

John, do you know if the crew from Weird New Jersey has covered this site yet? If not, I'm sure you could put together a great article for them.

They have covered this site upside and down, lol. Their page on it even has a warning from the local authorities that they received telling people to stay out. I'm glad I didn't read that before I went in... :rolleyes:

One of the images had some criticism about the geometric corner distortion and the ball in the image I titled "Come and Play With Us! Forever and Ever and Ever..."

So I just bought DXO ViewPoint intending to correct the distortion and found out that TANSTAAFL still applies. (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Basically, this version is a compromise between full corection and losing too much of the top from the original image.

8712693380_549f3f0112_c.jpg

Come and Play with Us! Forever, and ever, and ever...(alternate edit 2) by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Here's the original that some on here (and elsewhere) found objectionable because of the oval-ed out ball.

8689394569_ca6baff9de_c.jpg

Come and Play with Us! Forever, and ever, and ever... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

That is the most weird place to fit in but i guess the photos have an artistic touch to them. They certainly look very much inviting and i guess they'd be put up for some kind of exhibition or so.

John, this is simply the most captivating set of photos and thread that I've seen this year. It combines all the things I enjoy about photos, including the human element, emotion and history. Thank you for sharing the photos and stories. I will have to tag along your explorations some day. I'll hold your gear bag!

John, this is simply the most captivating set of photos and thread that I've seen this year. It combines all the things I enjoy about photos, including the human element, emotion and history. Thank you for sharing the photos and stories. I will have to tag along your explorations some day. I'll hold your gear bag!

Man, Jack, you're going to bring me to tears here -- thanks very much for that glowing appraisal! Some of these (in some form or crop) will be hanging in the local concert venue that wants to "decorate" in my work.

Nah, we're all peers out there in the urbex jungle. We carry our own weight... in my case it's not the kit weight so much as it's the photographer, lol. If you do get up this way we will hit a site together!

I went back to visit the asylum with my brother Mike today -- a mission specifically to capture one shot but I got a few more while I was there.

Two hour drive starting at 4AM from my brother's house to get there, hiking in by early dawn light, though the steam tunnels, 4 hours inside exploring (and some photography) and then 2 hours back to my brother's. Got up at 3:30AM (stayed at his place) -- long day!

Anyway, I met a relative of the "Eternal Timeout" bunny and her name is Bunyip. I asked about her cousin in timeout and she would only say, "Bad Rabbit!" -- In truth she doesn't say much at all...

Here's some of the photos I got. The last two are from my Fuji X100 though. The rest from the GH2 and 7-14mm.

9642189456_e8064058cf_b.jpg

Bunyip - My New Companion by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9638953295_12ce2554e5_b.jpg

The Operating Room by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9638953735_23cdea9399_b.jpg

Kroeger - Revisited by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9638953915_1d1f7ce493_b.jpg

The Throne Room by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9638954117_92ff3b4f3b_b.jpg

It Still Works! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9642189616_47c6ec84c3_b.jpg

Reaching for It by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Wow! Cool urbex imagery. Do you wear masks for protection when you go to this place?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

To reiterate what I said on fujixspot: great series! I especially like the piano shot. Love it.
Petet

Wow! Cool urbex imagery. Do you wear masks for protection when you go to this place?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Probably should but usually don't. Some folks are very consistent with that and it IS a better idea to I'm sure.

Thanks everyone!

My new traveling companion from the asylum is named Bunyip and she was first encountered by my brother Mike, though he was a bit put off by her condition. She's cleaned up a bit now and lives with my wife and I.

She was glad to get away from the asylum -- it's no place for a little bunny.

But it's worse than that... poor Bunyip was the victim of diabolical animal research. She was opened so often they put in a zipper!

Now, I am not opposed totally to animal experiments that benefit so many with their results -- but I draw the line at experimenting on STUFFED animals! Of what possible benefit could that ever be? Those responsible for this are evil, pure and simple.

9648693997_954fd83d43_b.jpg

Bunyip: Victim of Awful Experiments by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Its where the cocaine was stashed - either that or the jewels from a heist - or the top secret plans of a UN fighter plane - or a list of cliches from a hollywood film director

Its where the cocaine was stashed - either that or the jewels from a heist - or the top secret plans of a UN fighter plane - or a list of cliches from a hollywood film director

It would make a heck of a movie set. I've got some ideas myself, lol.

Back