i need a new tv! HEEEEEWLP!

Gubrz

O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad
Name
Eliot
i just got a sonos sound bar and sub (LOVE!), and now ive decided i need a new tv. my old samsung died, so im using my older sony thats just too small for the space. i need a 55"
i used to like the samsung screens better... and now they have a super cute remote! gasp!.... but is there something else i should be looking at currently???

I know nothing about TVs, but the new Sony I got seems pretty nice. I asked the salesman what TV he would buy if he were buying one and he showed me a Samsung and the Sony and said that they were about the same performance-wise.

Budget? At the high end Samsung gets very good reviews for the UN55F8000. Great picture quality and tons of bells and whistles, I've read.

Sorry to hear about the dead TV. Curious how old this display was when it died?

If the room isn't too bright and you are okay with increasing your carbon footprint, plasma is hard to beat plasma for contrast and black level (great for dark movies).

well we dont need 3d, as we will NEVER use it. lol
which means we prolly dont need the 240hz since it wont get cut in half for 3d.

120hz
no 3d
smart stuff not needed, we use an apple tv we are addicted to

the old samsung we had that died was about 3 years old when it went kaput
we thought it was this KNOWN ISSUE thing, but they sent a repair guy out, and it wasnt that part, it was another.. and he took out the KNOWN ISSUE part and replaced it to show he wasnt just trying to rip us off
it was going to be outrageous to replace the actual broken part, but there was no guarantee that it wouldnt just fry itself out again, so just went BLAH over the whole thing and swapped with the sony that got used for a month before being replaced by the samsung, lol

My advice is DON'T buy a state of the art smart TV and pay top dollar for those features. Buy the screen size you want first, then the secret is to buy a separate Blu-ray, "smart" PVR. There are plenty on Amazon. You will have an extra remote, it's true, but as tech improves it is far cheaper to replace that box than the whole TV. Oh and get yourself a Chromecast - worth every penny.

the old samsung we had that died was about 3 years old when it went kaput
we thought it was this KNOWN ISSUE thing, but they sent a repair guy out, and it wasnt that part, it was another.. and he took out the KNOWN ISSUE part and replaced it to show he wasnt just trying to rip us off
it was going to be outrageous to replace the actual broken part, but there was no guarantee that it wouldnt just fry itself out again, so just went BLAH over the whole thing and swapped with the sony that got used for a month before being replaced by the samsung, lol

3 years old? That's ridiculous! :eek: Sorry they wouldn't support you on that issue.

I have wondered how long these new televisions would last. My Pioneer Kuro is about 6-7 years old and is still working fine. I would be super frustrated if it would have died at 3 years (and a little ticked if it went now).

also have a bigger samsung i got just after the other, it was used just about as much as the one that died, and is still trouble free. so it may have been random fluke.. but im OVER IT and refuse to just fix it since the guy couldnt tell me why it did it, or if it would just do it again with the replacement part. just in case its a "this models part is defective and will burn out early all the time. sorry!" type issue

Ok. Got a samsung 55" 7150 model
3d 240hz
Active 3d glasses, and it can convert 2d tv into 3d. It's pretty cool! Not as good as full on 3d, but still super neat. And the glasses are light since they use coin battery

Now I need the rear SONOS Play3 speakers for 5.1!

Do you have to pay a "license" fee for receiving TV broadcasts in the US

UK is about US$150, (£100) and in France it is more - in France it is assumed that every one who pays taxes, (that's everyone in the country!!!), has a TV and it's charged to you automatically every year as part of the taxes on your house or where you live.

If you have a TV and don't pay it - you are "fined" - they have vans driving around checking who is receiving a signal and compare addresses with their database …….. part of the great democratic society we all live in!!!

The vans are a fiction... It's all done by data analysis these days, and is easily and legally circumvented by only watching catch-up TV. The license fee is an anachronism anyway.

Back