Micro 4/3 I’ve had this itch!

Mike G

All-Pro
Name
Mike Gorman
Ya see, I’ve had this itch for several months now and I have convinced myself that I really need to try out the mu4/3 field. This doesn't mean I don’t like my Fuji gear anymore, far from it. But I have this itch to try another system, which needs to be scratched. Had to sell off three premium lenses to fund the experiment but I wasn’t using them very much at all, so off they went to the great PX emporium in the sky.

Brand new G9 + Panasonic Leica 12-60mm 2.8-4 arrived this morning, initial impressions are good. But it will take me ages to get familiar, with all the strange new buttons and menu options to get to grips with! Smaller than the illustrations would have you believe, smaller than the Fujifilm X-H1 by about a centimetre. I have smallish hands but the camera seems to fit them quite nicely, good oh. The Leica 12-60mm feels smooth and not at all sloppy. The camera and lens feels that they go well together, and they are fast.

I thought the X-H1 shutter was quite sensitive to the touch, but the G9 is even more sensitive, I suspect it will take me a while to get accustomed to its action, until then I need to learn to use B.B.Focusing. I’m impressed with the quality of both body & lens, the combination of the Leica lens and Panasonic body doesn’t feel heavy.

More comments to follow as I grow into the camera!

Luckily here there is a wealth of 4/3s experience to draw on!

Well nothing like jumping right into the deep end. When I started in m4/3 I picked up an E-PM1 and 14-42 kit lens. My wife and I were headed out on a road trip and the smallest other thing I had was a D700 and Nikon 28-105. The E-PM1 + lens were smaller and lighter than the 28-105 was.

Ya see, I’ve had this itch for several months now and I have convinced myself that I really need to try out the mu4/3 field. This doesn't mean I don’t like my Fuji gear anymore, far from it. But I have this itch to try another system, which needs to be scratched. Had to sell off three premium lenses to fund the experiment but I wasn’t using them very much at all, so off they went to the great PX emporium in the sky.

Brand new G9 + Panasonic Leica 12-60mm 2.8-4 arrived this morning, initial impressions are good. But it will take me ages to get familiar, with all the strange new buttons and menu options to get to grips with! Smaller than the illustrations would have you believe, smaller than the Fujifilm X-H1 by about a centimetre. I have smallish hands but the camera seems to fit them quite nicely, good oh. The Leica 12-60mm feels smooth and not at all sloppy. The camera and lens feels that they go well together, and they are fast.

I thought the X-H1 shutter was quite sensitive to the touch, but the G9 is even more sensitive, I suspect it will take me a while to get accustomed to its action, until then I need to learn to use B.B.Focusing. I’m impressed with the quality of both body & lens, the combination of the Leica lens and Panasonic body doesn’t feel heavy.

More comments to follow as I grow into the camera!

Luckily here there is a wealth of 4/3s experience to draw on!
Welcome to the m43 community. I think you'll find a lot to like here.

Well nothing like jumping right into the deep end. When I started in m4/3 I picked up an E-PM1 and 14-42 kit lens. My wife and I were headed out on a road trip and the smallest other thing I had was a D700 and Nikon 28-105. The E-PM1 + lens were smaller and lighter than the 28-105 was.
Quite right David, I once jumped into a swimming pool shallow end as a 12 year old and broke 9 toes, so it’s always the deep end for me. :D

Earlier, I said the shutter button is more sensitive than the X-H1 but oops I had the G9 set to “half press to release” on, after I had reset to that control to off, the X-H1 & G9 shutters are much the same, so I’m used to both!

I will probably have to make a decision in the near future!

32EDDC8F-50C4-4932-8726-F691E11C0BEC.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike,

Even though I much prefer the m43 over the Fuji system, even wit hteh G9, I'd hazard a guess that the C-AF on the Fuji would be better than the DFD C-AF on the G9. If good C-AF is something you'll need, then I'd say keep the Fuji. Otherwise, if you like m43 and want C-AF, then I'd look seriously at the Olympu EM1 mk 1 or Mk 2 for that.

Just my opinion.

is that Fuji smaller than I think it should be or is that a giant Panasonic?
One of the reasons I have the E-M1 mkII instead of the G9. The X-H1 is wider, they are the same height, and the G9 is thicker. The E-M1 mkII is about the size of the X-T2.

Mike,

Even though I much prefer the m43 over the Fuji system, even wit hteh G9, I'd hazard a guess that the C-AF on the Fuji would be better than the DFD C-AF on the G9. If good C-AF is something you'll need, then I'd say keep the Fuji. Otherwise, if you like m43 and want C-AF, then I'd look seriously at the Olympu EM1 mk 1 or Mk 2 for that.

Just my opinion.
Another of the reasons I have the E-M1 mkII.

Attachments

• 2018-08-18_20-29-14.jpg
    2018-08-18_20-29-14.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 222
Mike,
Just my opinion.
Andrew, following your post I got to thinking when was the last time I used CAF in anger, and I honestly can’t remember a single time other than trying CAF out when I’ve needed that mode! One of the attractions of the G9 is the grip and non logical dislike of Olympus cameras!
If you peruse the photo it would seem that the G9 is bigger than the X-H1, but actually it’s slightly smaller. It’s the shape of the grip that seems bigger, but isn’t really!
A087E6BC-0A53-458A-AEA8-AC30441A30EA.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One of the reasons I have the E-M1 mkII instead of the G9. The X-H1 is wider, they are the same height, and the G9 is thicker. The E-M1 mkII is about the size of the X-T2
David. The lack of a decent grip is one of the reasons for disliking the X-T2, the biggest reason for getting rid of the X-T2 is bad reliability, that’s a shame. Then along comes the X-H1, but now that is showing issues! Mine has had two unexplained factory resets. But it has a nice grip.

I've gone back and forth on "grips". Currently I have 2 bodies, the E-M1 mkII for my larger glass and the GX85 when I want more than my X70, but still smaller. The few times I've played with XT's it seems they would fall into the great for smaller glass but maybe not for the larger stuff.

Back