Fuji How much do you like your XF1?

I can see that he or she is a beautiful old friend, Lawrence. Very sweet looking, as well.

I'm glad you're growing more fond of your XF1.

Yes indeed, a real sweetheart, getting along in years and with an inoperable tumor we all thought would have taken her by now. But she likes her pills in peanut butter too much to let go. I sing to her. Anyone else sing to their dog?

XF1 refurbished from Fuji UK for £150

Yup, read it as well as a few others - what about you? Did you go for it? By the way, welcome to the forum and if you're going to hang around please consider stopping by our Welcomes and Introductions forum.
Thanks for the welcome :) And, yes, I will be hanging around (X-10 and shortly to be XF1 owner). I will drop into the WaI forum, once I have settled in with the Apple Mavericks software update.

But, meanwhile, news from the sharp end, Fujifilm UK are now selling refurbs for £149.99 (only 23 black ones left, which will be 22 once I have finished posting this :D

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-xf1-refurbished.html

Yesterday, the price was £179.99, with there being 3 brown ones plus the black ones but no reds available. Looks like Fuji are clearing the decks, and that will be that then.

I bought my X-10 from them refurbished, and it looked as mint as can be, only it did not come in the original box. But they even threw in a beanbag type "tripod" cushion. Can't say fairer than that, can you?

There will be a reduction of 10% (voucher code) on the above refurb price, with the case being offered at half price, £25, as part of the deal. So, it's a bit of a steal, really.

Gotta go.

Chipbutty, how are you getting on with your XF-1? I don't really need one but it's not a bad price. I love the 6M EXR low light performance with my x10 and I guess apart from the slower lens it should be pretty similar.

Phil - A bit of a mixed experience so far as you may have read in this forum and over on Serious Compacts. I find it can underexpose quite badly in backlit situations. Sometimes as much as two stops! I returned my first XF1 for this reason but my new one appears to be the same. So it appears to be the nature of the beast. In the same situation, with the same settings, my other cameras expose the subject correctly. It's odd but it's something I'll probably get used to by using exposure compensation or spot metering in those situations. What's odd is no one else seems to have reported any problems, though one reviewer did mention it. Other than that I do really like the handling and operation of the camera and although I never ever shoot JPEGs with my other cameras I really like them on the XF1. Obviously IQ isn't a match for my X100 but I actually prefer the JPEGs from the XF1!

Chipbutty, how are you getting on with your XF-1? I don't really need one but it's not a bad price. I love the 6M EXR low light performance with my x10 and I guess apart from the slower lens it should be pretty similar.

I just tried a quick comparison of some balloons against a backlit background of around 30% sky with the X100 and X10. I set them both to aperture priority, metering to multi, same (similar) aperture, shutter speed DR and ISO settings and got very similar exposures. If anything the X10 blew out more of the sky - which is the opposite of what's happening with your XF1. I thought the XF1 and X10 would behave similarly but it looks as though that might not be the case.

Interesting. I'll take my XF1 with me on my Christmas break to Wales and give it a thorough play. Sometimes I wonder whether most of us shoot in such an individual way that we don't always get to see the certain characteristics of our cameras. If that makes sense. I can't believe I've had two XF1s that are lemons!

Interestingly this second new XF1 is made in Japan and proudly states Made in Japan above the LCD. The first one was made in China, written on the underside of the camera, not above the LCD :) Not that it means anything of course. My EPM1 is made in China and superbly built.

I just tried a quick comparison of some balloons against a backlit background of around 30% sky with the X100 and X10. I set them both to aperture priority, metering to multi, same (similar) aperture, shutter speed DR and ISO settings and got very similar exposures. If anything the X10 blew out more of the sky - which is the opposite of what's happening with your XF1. I thought the XF1 and X10 would behave similarly but it looks as though that might not be the case.

Well it was just one test shot I but I've never noticed the X10 under-exposing in this type of situation. Still thinking about the XF-1 but won't do anything for a week or so. Have a great Christmas and enjoy your break!

Yes you would think the X10 and XF1 would meter the same.

Have a good Christmas but no doubt I'll be back on here before the big day!

Well it was just one test shot I but I've never noticed the X10 under-exposing in this type of situation. Still thinking about the XF-1 but won't do anything for a week or so. Have a great Christmas and enjoy your break!

I'm enjoying the XF1, but I've also had some shots that were under exposed. The goods news is that is was easily fixable in light room. I have just read a review where the reviewer says it under exposes in bright sunlight and I saw in Ming Thein review a photograph of a car in the street which to my eyes looked a little under exposed. I do like the jpeg output from this camera, I have not even tried RAW yet. here's a couple of photo's, one in Velvia and the other in black and white film mode.

11406553244_a38eb31c08_c.jpg

Blue railings by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11406612163_58d6fce1bc_c.jpg

Cloudy beach by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

Darren - Lovely shots. It's not just me then who's noticing this tendency to underexpose! I went out today and got a load of underexposed ones. I knew they were going to be underexposed as I could judge from the LCD but I wanted to snap them anyway just for reference purposes. It's not perhaps an issue for static shots as you can take your time and use exposure compensation but for what I want the camera for, shots of my daughter running around outside, it fails as a camera. I'm not that taken with the image quality either. I wouldn't say it's much better than my recently sold Canon S95, though the Fuji JPEGs are nicer.

This is a typical shot. Not that bright, pretty overcast. Had this same result from both XF1s I've used. So, I'll probably return it. I don't think it's really worthy of the X series name.

i-RVhvNJC-M.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That ain't good, your daughter and the houses looks underexpose, but it also looks like you've blown the sky out too at the same time. I'm going to have to try some people's shots to see how I get on.

Pretty horrendous isn't it?! Other than when there's a significant amount of sky in the shot it exposes ok. Is no one else seeing this? I can't believe both of my XF1s are faulty. It behaves like this in all modes, EXR, PASM in either 6mp or 12mp.

Perhaps the mobile phone masts 400m away are sending the metering wonky! Anyway, I'll be returning the XF1. Really disappointed :-(

But I did find quite a few threads of people complaining of severe underexposure with both the X10 and X20 when using Matrix metering.

That ain't good, your daughter and the houses looks underexpose, but it also looks like you've blown the sky out too at the same time. I'm going to have to try some people's shots to see how I get on.

After shooting some more this morning I'm not convinced there's actually anything wrong with camera. Perhaps this is just how it meters in Matrix mode. Very aggressive if the sky covers more than 40% of the frame. Even with dull skies. I found various threads of people complaining about the same issue on the X10. Especially for landscapes. Someone said Fuji recommend Spot metering on the X10 for landscapes. I can see why. All my underexposed images are when I'm crouched down shooting at my daughter's eye level. If anyone has a toddler try this and you will see how at times it severly underexposes in Matrix. There are exceptions though. Auto EXR works great because Face Detection will kick in and expose properly for the face resulting in a decent exposure, or just make sure Face Detection is enabled in PASM. Of course in Auto EXR you lose the ability to shoot Raw but as we all know the Raw files look dreadful from the XF1 anyway. Though that's mainly because most Raw software doesn't seem to support it well enough. All in all I find it a very frustrating camera to use for the kind of shooting I want to do with it, but I must say I was very impressed with Auto EXR after this morning's trip to the park. No underexposed images thanks to Face Detection. It still doesn't make up for the overly aggressive metering as Face Detection isn't always appropriate.

I'll try and post a couple of pics later to show well Auto EXR exposed from my trip to the park.

Back