Film How many film cameras do you have...

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
...that are currently loaded with film?

I have been sifting through my boxes of old film cameras, the ones I have spoken of before that I picked up at estate sales, flea markets, etc. Listening to Pink Floyd too and btw you can do pretty much anything listening to Pink Floyd, just saying, my daughter is currently making jewelry as I dig for treasure. But I digress.. In sorting what I am keeping, what I want to sell and what might be in the next round of sales and simultaneously having angst over such decision making, I have discovered I have, thus far, six cameras still loaded with film. Nothing has been in my possession for more than a year and six months and its unlikely anything has had film in it even nearly that long, but I now have a little shooting project ahead of me and have begun to put the cameras back in their boxes leaving the loaded ones out. I'm finding the idea of parting with them is giving me indigestion anyway. Shine on you craaaazy diamondddd..

How many of you have film cameras and how many are currently loaded.. and for how long have they been loaded? I guess this isn't too startling to me because at one time I had like 11 disposable cameras I had held onto for about four years. At the time I could not afford to develop them. I recently developed them, less than a year ago, and found my mother's last christmas. Just a few shots and poorly lit ones but treasures. Do you anticipate you might be holding on to treasures in your undeveloped rolls? Do you let them sit? I think I just got far too distracted and forgot.

Let's see:

one - loaded with film, half way through a roll for more than a year, I guess; it's my Olympus 35SP, great little rangefinder:
View attachment 66227
GET by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr

two - fully functional and great cameras that I feel like not parting with, even though I do not actually use them; Minolta XD7, a great little SLR:
5331280679_00c7b5918c.png

AMELIE 1 by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr

and Yashica Lynx 1000, a beast of the rangefinder with 50mm f1.4 lens with the smoothest film-rewind I ever met:
View attachment 66228
SOUTIEN by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr

three - non working; two Canonets and one Yashica GX, planning to convert to pinhole at least one of them
4605156610_bc64828936_z.png

SECURE by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr

And I contemplate buying vintage medium format folder and an even older folding plate camera:) To my defence, I managed last year to give Paul my Ricoh 500G and redeem at least one camera from sitting in my drawer :)

Loaded at the moment? Two
Bessa R2A has a roll of Kodak Gold 200 (local supermarket selling it for 74p/roll) in, about 3/4 finished and that's been in about 4 days
Fuji GS645S has a fresh roll of XP2S in, loaded it yesterday no shots taken yet.

Sometimes a roll of film will get used in a couple of days, sometimes a couple of months. The more cameras I have loaded with film, the longer it takes to use them up (especially 35mm; with MF it's much easier to shoot a whole roll of 12 or 15 quickly than the 36 of 35mm). Accordingly, I only keep one or two loaded at any time now.

Don commented recently that when I was using the Bessa it was like I was going around looking for "film subjects" (and by implication that when I used my E-P2, I was a bit more spontaneous and made less laboured images). So I've been trying just to take the first camera that comes to hand when I leave the house, ignoring so far as possible whether it's digital, film, colour, black and white, 135 or 120, and just take the pictures I see.

Contax T3 - has a roll of XTRA 400, still has photos from a wedding last May.
Leica M7 - has a roll of Pro 400H, more photos from the same wedding
Agfa - some kind of rangefinder I got from a photo market, put expired film in and haven't finished the roll since 2007
Olympus Trip - bought on the same day as the Agfa. Same deal.

I also have 8-10 rolls of film that I found at the bottom of a wardrobe, dating back to the 90's. I have no idea what is on them.

Maybe I should start a thread about how much film people have not loaded in cameras ... I did an inventory yesterday and found I could shoot a roll a week for the next two-and-a-half years without buying any more

How did that happen?

Loaded with film
Ricoh GR1 of course.

2097673541_f1ef17bb69_z.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• 2097673541_f1ef17bb69_z.jpg
    2097673541_f1ef17bb69_z.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 279
Took a quick inventory. My Yashica Electro GTN has a roll of expired film in it. The modded battery for the light meter still works! Ditto with a Russian Zorki, half a roll of expired film in that as well.

Cameras with no film in it include an Olympus Trip 35, Yashica 108 and a FED 2.

Now I have all these cameras and some guilt to go along with it.

Maybe I should start a thread about how much film people have not loaded in cameras ... I did an inventory yesterday and found I could shoot a roll a week for the next two-and-a-half years without buying any more

How did that happen?

If you are anything like me, what happens is you like to try out different films, but for some reason feel compelled to order 5 to 10 rolls of each film instead of just one. That, and trying to save on shipping (impossible for me to purchase film locally at anything close to a reasonable price).

At last count, I have about 50 rolls in the freezer right now. Not as many as you, Paul, but certainly enough for a while. Some of it has already been in the freezer for almost a year.

Cheers,

Antonio

As to the OP's question, I have no loaded film cameras at the time, and very rarely leave film in my cameras. When I go out with any of my film cameras, it's time to stop when the film runs out. Easier with 120 (only 12 exposures), but sometimes the last 10 frames of a 36 exp. 35mm roll are the toughest ones.

As to unloaded film cameras, I actually have a bunch, but only two (2) that see regular use: Leica M6TTL and Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS.

Cheers,

Antonio

I own a number of film cameras, including some antique Kodak Brownies and bellows cameras. None of my film cameras are currently loaded but the ones that could be pressed into service at any time include my Minolta SRT-200 SLR from the mid 1970s, my Canon Photura 135 SLR from the early 1990s and the last film camera I ever bought, my Vivitar PZ3118 from 2001.

My film camera inventory is as follows:

Working and loaded with film
Olympus OM-1MD (by far my favourite to use)
Canon AE-1
Yashica A TLR

In need of repair
Yashica Electro 35 (it works but has an electrical short that will cause a battery to drain overnight)
Pentax Spotmatic SPII

@Boid - I reminded myself too! &-- No guilt if you shoot with them :)

@ Milan - Great photos!

@ Paul - Yeah I expect this will take me a while as I am not on vacation or anywhere scenic for taking photos right now. I hate to just waste film and I accidentally opened a couple, not wide mind you but I expect some loss too.
&-- I have a refrigerator drawer filled with film and meds, mostly film.

@ Archiver - 2007... it's time to finish it!

@ Will - Beautiful color in that shot.

@ Antonio - Yup, buy a few rolls because I might like it and then I get distracted etc..

@ Luke - This is my frowny face. You should have at least one film camera.

@ Lawrence - Shoot, cameras with film only seem to multiply if you don't. It's some weird fertility thing they got going on ;)

@ Biro - I can't decide if you're doing it right, having them all empty, or doing it wrong, not using them.

@ ean10775 - Welcome to SC.. and hope to see your shots soon.

So I summed mine up.. I have my Yashica 35 GSN but I think I will need a new battery now before I can finish the roll. A Kodak Pony Model C that was given to me a year ago. My Yashica Mat 635 I just got for my birthday [loaded with 120], Spartus Full-Vue [TLR wannabe], Falcon Super Action [127 Efke], Kodak Duaflex & Polaroid OneStep Close-up. I keep having issues with my polaroids and wasting film due to it. This last cartridge ejected the dark slide and three of the images before I even pushed the button so it may be my last foray with instant. Also have ready to go my Kodak Medalist I with the respooled 120/620 I got from B&H. Yup yup. I'll have a few cameras for sale pretty soon but I think I am obligated right now to shoot first and twitch later.

Just finished a roll of Velvia 50, so none are loaded this second. But I have 3 minoltas - XG-N & XD-5 that work perfectly, and an XD-11 without a working meter. I have T-Max 400 and 100 waiting, just not sure what I'm shooting next so I haven't loaded. Probably going x-country skiing sunday, so it looks like I'll toss the 100 into one of the minoltas, pick a prime, and hang it around my neck under my coat.

I sold my last film cameras last year, a Yashica T4 and Rollei AFM35. Both great litte machines, I always especially liked the Rollei... simple but purposeful camera, beautiful build and great lens. I would love to see a digital version of a camera like that... I just don't shoot film anymore, although I do sometimes miss my darkroom that I used to have, there is something special about seeing that picture come to life in the chemicals..:)

Rollei.jpg

T4.jpg

Back