Feedback Horizontal scrolling to see photos? Problems with page width?

Amin

Hall of Famer
Some members may find that the forum page width is too wide to navigate without horizontal scrolling. This shouldn't be the case if your display is at least 1280px wide and/or you are using a mobile browser that automatically resizes everything (ie, iPhone, iPad, Android). However those on a desktop/laptop with a display 1024px wide or smaller may face this issue. One option is to resize the page using your browser - holding [CTRL] and [-] at the same time will usually accomplish this ([CMD] and [-] on a Mac).

I installed another option - dedicated site styles for those using smaller displays. These won't completely eliminate horizontal scrolling issues for everyone, but they should minimize those issues for most people. To select one of these styles, scroll to the bottom left corner of any page and use the drop-down menu to select one of the styles that says "for smaller displays". What these styles do is reduce the maximum width of displayed images from 1024px (in the standard site styles) to 512px. With this change, the thread view should fit on an 800px-wide screen.

There shouldn't be offending threads anymore because in the standard styles, images should be automatically limited to 1024px wide (previously could be wider). If you see a very wide embedded image (>1024px), please let me know so I can troubleshoot the automatic resizing.

Keep in mind that the modification doesn't change the actual size of the image, so the file size is unchanged. It just changes how big the image appears on the so it doesn't break the page format. Eventually I'll probably add styles for very large/high res displays, but once people start posting 2048px images, etc, everyone with a slow connection will be impacted, so for now I'm limiting embedded images to 1024px display width.

Best not to routinely embed massive images. Linking to them is fine. For example, embed a 1024px image and then create a link so people who click on it get taken to a full-res version on Flickr won't make the page here load any slower.

Thanks, Amin! I have a small display by today's standards (1280) on the MBP, but sometimes have to scroll even when the embedded shot is 1024... those tend to push the right sidebar off the page. This will solve that, nicely. I must confess it isnt a HUGE issue, but this is a nice fix, anyway, and I am now using the smaller display theme.

Back