Samsung Hey Samsung, how about another 16-xx lens ;)

Brian style

Regular
Hey Samsung, since you seem to love the focal length (16-50S, 16-50pz, 18-55, 20-50)

How about a 16-70/80 f4 that would be the FF equivalent focal length of the 24-105. A general purpose lens with a better range than standard "kit" lenses, and faster at the long end :cool:

You could make it a powerzoom to keep it smaller (if needed) and would probably be a very nice portrait lens at f4 from 50-70/80. Sony made an 18-105 f4 that is a powerzoom, as well as internally focusing and zooming, but it is still a bit large and bulky. Decreasing that focal length should help decrease size. Yes 105mm is pretty awesome for range but 80 would be enough for general purpose use while still keeping size down. :D

While Samsung has the technically more impressive lens in the 16-50mm f2-2.8, I would find a lens like the Sony 16-70mm f4 to be a more interesting proposition. There was a rumour a couple of years ago but obviously nothing has come of it as yet.

The main problem with the 16-50 f2-2.8 (which I own) is size/weight vs versatility. I'd probably have preferred a slightly slower lens (say 1 stop at tele end) which is smaller and way lighter, perhaps with bigger reach. I often use the S lens in my house, where a fast lens is cool to avoid flash, but for outside shooting I use to bring the tiny power zoom with a couple of fast primes in the bag (eg 30 and 45mm, or 60mm if I plan to do also macro).

Back