Sigma HELP needed with using ND Grads on Sigma DP Merrills

genekrasko

I have tried using Lee's Seven5 grad filters with my sigma dp merrill cameras and the issue I ran into is that the LCD screen keeps adjusting its brightness up and down when I move filters into a desired position and I can't see the effect of the grad filter and its grad line. I did shoot in manual mode. I suspect this might be an issue with other LCD only cameras as well. Others have suggested to take several shots and adjust position of the filter, but I find this approach undesirable at the least. I have also heard opinions that Sigma's Foveon sensor doesn't play nice with grad filters and CPLs. Can someone advise on what can be done to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Gene

Hello and welcome Gene.
I use the Lee Seven5 filters. I meter the scene for the foreground ( or important part) Then I use the AE lock. Only then do I slide the filter up or down to get the effect I want.
This method works well for me as an alternative to using using manual mode .

Hello and welcome Gene.
I use the Lee Seven5 filters. I meter the scene for the foreground ( or important part) Then I use the AE lock. Only then do I slide the filter up or down to get the effect I want.

Thanks for your reply and advise! When you slide the filter down across the lens, do you actually see the darkening effect on the screen? I see it only for split second and then the screen evens out the brightness.

Yes you do see the effect . Be careful not to go to far down though. What grad are you using ?
Hard grads are easier to use , so if possible practice with them. The aperture you choose to use effects the final result too. A small aperture will make the transition more distinct .

Yes you do see the effect . Be careful not to go to far down though. What grad are you using ?
Hard grads are easier to use , so if possible practice with them. The aperture you choose to use effects the final result too. A small aperture will make the transition more distinct .

I was using Lee's Seven5 soft grads and, based on what you've said above, that could have been the issue... I don't yet have my hard grads and so I will experiment with them once I get them.
Thanks for you help!

Hello and welcome Gene.

I agree, either use the lock or work in manual mode.

The Lee Seven5 system rocks, imho, so it is well worth persevering until you get it working.

LouisB

Back