Micro 4/3 Hands on with new M.Zuiko 12-50

L-Fn? What's that button do? Good to hear that it was the fastest focusing combination at the show (presumably in front of the J1 and V1 since they were also there). I mean, when I tried the Nikon 1 cameras the other day I was just wishing for even faster AF, lol.

I thought the 12-50 looked very manageable on the EP3, though I also think the same about the 14-150. I just have no use for a 50mm/6.3 :(

What a waste or good R&D. It doesn't matter how sharp the stupid thing is if it's so slow you can't hold it still without a tripod.

Gordon

It doesn't matter

What a waste or good R&D. It doesn't matter how sharp the stupid thing is if it's so slow you can't hold it still without a tripod.

Gordon

To which I reply:

It doesn't matter how fast or how compact your lens is if you have to put your camera away because it starts to rain or the there is dust blowing or waves splashing as you're wading waist deep in a river ...:)

For me, WR beats every other consideration because survivability in the great outdoors is everything. Heck, why else do pros put up with the monstrous size and weight of series 1 DSLRs and WR glass? This lens weighs in well under 300 grams, so I'm not complaining.

WR lenses are great, but I value fast lenses over WR. What bothers me more though is that Oly will likely come out with a weather resistant fast zoom in the next two years (assuming Oly is still around), but is getting something slow out in the market first as part of its business strategy to get multiple sales of the same general type of lens to the same enthusiasts out there. it's the Apple strategy of not giving its customers the best it can give from the get go. Give it to them slowly and they'll keep buying the same thing with the justification of small improvements. And I'm totally guilty of supporting that as I type all of this on an iPad! :)

Evolutionary progress

Totally agree, Olympus have market changing ideas then implement them half-pie as if too eager to get out there with it before anyone else. An M43 WR camera and a couple of WR lenses should have been out in the first year - hopefully they will survive to make the compatible body. Oly and Pentax are the only players who take modestly priced WR seriously. Be nice if the new Fuji CSC at its rumored price point of $1500 was WR (should be at that price IMHO).

It seems a strange concept... we buy 'serious compact' cameras to cut down on the bulkiness of standard cameras, thus giving us portability, and extra functionality ... then we shove huge lenses on them... No matter how 'nice' these lenses are... it seems to defeat the object of why we bought the S.C. in the first place.... ;)

Back