Sony hand grips for the RX1

I had a look at the RRS grip but then decided to purchase the Gariz half case.
This very well made leather case comes with a metal bottom, tripod screw and access to battery and SD Card, and adds approx. 1 inch to the bottom of the RX1 which improves (for me) the handling of the RX1. In addition the fine leather material of this half case, adds quite some additional grip and offers some protection of the RX1.

Could I butt in here and ask about ND filters pretty please? How many "stops" do I need?

I guess that depends on what your purpose is. If the RX1 has the same "problem" as the Fuji X100, in that it can only use shutter speeds up to 1/1000th at f/2, a 3 stop filter should be enough to allow you to shoot wide open in briight daylight (that's what the X100 has built in). If your goal is to get the "glassy effect" in running water in broad daylight, or something else requiring very slow shutter speeds, you'll probably need more...

Thanks, it tops out at a shutter of 2,000 and even here in the grey UK, that happens quite quickly. I'll be taking it to Greece in a couple of weeks so would you still say that 3 stops is enough?

Thanks, it tops out at a shutter of 2,000 and even here in the grey UK, that happens quite quickly. I'll be taking it to Greece in a couple of weeks so would you still say that 3 stops is enough?

Greece is known for its white-painted houses so that'll definitely put it to the test. The X100 has a minimum ISO of 200 and a maximum shutter speed at f/2 of 1/1000th, so even without ND filter, the RX1 already has 2 stops of "darkness" over the X100. I haven't heard anyone complain that the X100's 3-stop ND filter is not enough, but I don't have any experience of shooting it in particularly sunny climates myself (brightest so far has been Holland on a sunny day). Should the ND filter not be enough you could always close down the aperture a bit (and that should also enable faster shutter speeds). Adding a polarizing filter on top of the ND filter should also reduce the light by another stop-and-a-bit, and reduce glare / reflections ofcourse.

The only time a three stop filter wouldn't do it is if you want to get long exposures to create silky waterfall effects in broad daylight. For that kind of thing, you'd probably need more. But to just be able to shoot wide open at 1/2000 in bright light, three stops ought to always do the job. It was always enough on the X100 at f2 and its plenty on the LX7 at f1.4....

-Ray

Back to the original post. I found this:

Nieuwe RX1 handgrip (en overzicht) | NEXblog

It shows the three grips I have seen so far. I think the japanese one (UN-ltd UNX 9112) is the sleekest one and second in style is the RRS grip.

I am not sure whether I am getting the UN-ltd grip yet because I am also considering a Gariz case.

I saw the leather case + grip solution shown on a previous post but I think the styling is missing a some clean lines.

Back