Ricoh GXR A12-M pictures and travel report

Cristian Sorega

Regular
I have not been posting for a while here since I have been away on a lomng holiday through Vietnam, Cambodia and Hong Kong.
I took my GXR with the Ricoh GR f2.8 28mm, Voigtlander Heliar f4.5 15mm, Voigtlander Nokton f1.4 35mm and Canon f1.8 50mm lenses and the A12 28mm module as a backup camera. The GXR performed great and the lenses complemented each other very well, although the Heliar and GR lens were the ones to see the most use overall.
The GXR worked flawlessly during the trip despite rain, high temperatures and humidity, the only problem I had was with dust on the sensor but this was more my fault, although Ricoh needs to add a dust reduction system in the next mount module. While it was not always easy to manually focus the lenses all the time (imagine having to hold and umbrella and also have two hands to hold and focus the camera), it was never too big a problem and mode 2 made focusing very easy.
Something that did not really work well is to keep the lens information accurate, at times I forgot to switch the My Setting, here I hope Ricoh will address this in firmware.

Next to the GXR, I gave my new Asus Transformer tablet a proper trial on how it works as a travel device and it did not disappoint. Where a friends' iPad 2 failed miserably for every single task, the Transformer worked like a charm and managed to handle everything from backing up pictures to blogging and uploading pictures without problems. So if you are thinking of travelling light but want a proper device to store your pictures on ansd be able to upload them, forget the iPad but look at the Asus Transformer.

04-11-2011_01.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The trip started out in Hanoi, then on to Hue, Hoi An, Saigon, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap for Angkor Wat, back to Hanoi, Halong Bay and then on to Hong Kong. There was a lot to cover and even more to see but it was worth it.

After the trip, I have to say that one thing is clear to me, the GXR with Mount A12 module is the best camera I have used so far and produces fantastic results. This is bad news for my other cameras since they will see a lot less use from now on.

Enough with the talk, below are some pictures from the trip.

tmp_179313195.null.jpg

tmp_751839980.null.jpg

tmp_-701147174.null.jpg

tmp_2128764880.null,jpg.jpg

tmp_-1604300455.null.jpg

tmp_1914473368.null.jpg

tmp_-139300937.null.jpg

tmp_-1679990419.null.jpg

tmp_-1470803033.null.jpg

tmp_677628329.null.jpg

tmp_1878429647.null.jpg

tmp_-1286873586.null.jpg

tmp_-1581400767.null.jpg

tmp_530188299.null.jpg

tmp_-2131606404.null.jpg

tmp_1288330327.null.jpg

tmp_-319346503.null.jpg

tmp_-852762456.null.jpg

tmp_339696978.null.jpg

tmp_1711389748.null.jpg

tmp_1675264113.null.jpg

tmp_521325541.null.jpg

tmp_822801559.null.jpg

tmp_2120580977.null.jpg

tmp_1252449631.null.jpg

tmp_-1040386781.null.jpg

tmp_43653374.null.jpg

tmp_565442483.null.jpg

tmp_228887020.null.jpg

26-11-2011_01.JPG

In case you don't have enough, there are more on my blog.

Cristian, nice selection of images. I recognize a few as they appear to be from Hue.
I have a question for you. Now that your doing the M module and have been for sometime, how do you feel about the A12 lensors? I notice you carried the 28 as a backup. How do you feel about these lensors compared to the stuff your using on the M module?
If ya get a chance to reply, I'd like to know...
Don

You have a good blog and I hit it daily...

Love the lighting on the couple by the water in your first travel shot.

(I have your blog in my daily RSS feed read and have been enjoying your trip vicariously!)

Some great memories for me of Vietnam and Cambodia. Hoi An is one the coolest little towns I've been to (did you go to the Cargo Club, by any chance?). Halong Bay is serene, the Angkor temples just blow you away, and Phnom Penh is a great city. I have to go to Hong Kong one day. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for all your comments!

@Don (aka Streetshooter)
I still feel like the lensors have their place because they offer things you can't get with M lenses or legacy lenses in the same package. Aide from taht they work great as a backup camera. Having said this, I feel like the Mount A12 is the real GXR and the other modules are there simply to complement it, especially the A12 28mm is a very good complement.

@Nic
I did not go to the Cargo Club but need to put it on my list for the next travel there.
You should visit Hong Kong, even if it's as a stop over for a few days. It is a great place to see and has a lot to offer, especially Mong Kok is great but so are Stanley and Lantau Island.

@Bill
This is my favourite part of the world to visit, it is also amazing for photography.

Wonderful pictures, Cristian!

What brand of umbrella did you use to take them with? Hope you'll be doing a full scale review of it on your blog soon...:D

Back