GR plus RX100

ShawnG

Regular
Would this combo satisfy most of your photo needs if you were starting from scratch? Another option in the same price range would be an XE1 w/18-55. I tend to gravitate towards b&w a bit more than color and primarily shoot street/candid, landscape, portraits and the occasional macro.

Shawn

I guess it depends on personal needs and wants. But if you want the GR because the RX100 isn't good enough at 28mm won't you just end up being unhappy with the RX100 shots at longer focal lengths?

I was actually thinking of the GR as my primary camera with the RX100 as a second body when more reach or the occasional video is called for. I'm coming from a m43 setup and have found that though the primes are really great, I'd be more comfortable with a fixed lens/zoom setup.

The RX100 is a great shirt pocket size camera. But its lens gets slow pretty quickly, f2.8 and f3.2 at the 35mm and 50mm equivalent focal lengths respectively (f4.9 is the fastest speed when fully zoomed in) and limit it somewhat. Although bulkier and heavier, the Nikon V1 as the second camera to the Coolpix A would be a much more versatile set with fast primes and different zooms available. The Nikon 1 is probably the only system with AF fast and accurate enough for street under most circumstances. With the A, zone focusing is needed, which is not too challenging with its wide lens.

If you're going to go with two cameras, you'd probably be better off pairing the GR with a small m4/3 camera and the Oly 45mm/1.8 for portraits. That's more or less what I'm doing.

Back