1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GR III - it's coming.

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by bilzmale, Sep 25, 2018.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
  2. rayvonn

rayvonn All-Pro

Jan 19, 2015
    Possibly in the shops mid next year then. Seems to have lost a bit of it's raw-ness.

3. Hageneth

Hageneth Regular

Jan 8, 2017
    Suffolk.UK
    Ian
    Saw this a couple of hours ago. Apart from the sensor upgrade I see that there is sensor shift IS, a new metering mode and improved video but no 16.9 aspect ratio. As it appears to be no bigger than the GRll it will hopefully use the same battery.
    Will be interesting to see what is revealed on Saturday (or before). Perhaps time to start saving.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    "fully articulating LCD screen"..... @Lightmancer@Lightmancer is going to be very unhappy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Cheshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    And touch screen too!

6. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    well, at least one can turn off the touchscreen (I hope)

7. serhan

serhan All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Finally... + IBIS.

They made it even smaller, lost its flash.
    117.0 x 62.8 x 34.7 mm (GR II)
    109.4 × 61.9 × 33.2 mm (GR III)

• Like Like x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
  8. MoonMind

MoonMind All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Very nice package - but still no (E)VF. It's quite what was to be expected, but, pending the sensor's performance, just a solid modernisation, no re-invention of the camera (well, in a way it is - articulating touchscreen). I.B.I.S. is a welcome addition, though, as is the hybrid AF system; if you read between the lines, you'll notice that they left out the AA filter as well. It stays a real GR, but with even better usability.

So, all in all, a convincing product - however, for my specific needs, quite like the GR II, probably not enough to make me want to upgrade from my original GR. Let's see how it performs ...

EDIT: Concerning the screen, as far as I can see, there's no articulation whatsoever, so that part of the description appears to be false.

RICOH GR III, a high-end digital compact camera, to be exhibited for a preview at Photokina 2018|RICOH IMAGING

M.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  9. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The mirrorless rumors article in the first post states it as fully articulated, but everything I have seen from Ricoh states fixed and touchscreen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. I think this is the one I want.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Depends on price for me. As the GR mk2 is still selling for around £500, I'm guessing it might even be as high as £800.
    In that case its out for me. £675 max i'm prepared to go to.

12. rayvonn

rayvonn All-Pro

Jan 19, 2015
    The Current GR is at least 5 years old in tech but I’m wedded to it every day because it’s capable of giving me magic a bit more different and unique to everything else out there. I’m a bit nervous this new one won’t be like that (I noticed the current sensor has been chopped) and might just be conforming to every other new product. We’ll see.

13. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy
    Tis the way of the future...

14. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy
    For the greater good....

(The greater good)

15. ggweci

ggweci Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Craig
    Been waiting for this for a while.

Everything looks great to me:

New (current) 24mp sensor
    Image stabilization
    Dust reduction sensor shake
    New hybrid AF
    Slightly smaller package

Really, the only negative over previous versions, is the loss of the flash. I can live without that though, as I hardly used it on my previous GR.

Hopefully the new lens resolves as sharp as the old one, with the increased resolution.

Also, interested the see how it's priced. Hopefully in line with previous GR launch pricing.

It will definitely be on my shopping list. Shame we have to wait another ~6 months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I definitely think pricepoint could be very important. The improvements are nice, but not earthshaking. For me, I just bought a used GR because I thought thought the GRII was not significantly greater to me....at least at the prices they were being offered. And frankly, the GRIII looks great, but a baby step over the II which is a baby step over the GR.

I'm sure there's a load of GRII cameras in the supply chain....how cheap will those be discounted....or will they try to sell the III for a premium price for awhile?

17. Archiver

Archiver Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    This is going to be the bomb. So many exciting announcements this Photokina!
    • IBIS - it's only 3 axis but it's still stabilization
    • Ultrasonic dust cleaning - this should solve a few problems people have been having
    • USB C charging - great for a top-up in power when driving
    • 24mp sensor - now we get that great high ISO and resolution along with Ricoh's bonanza of colour science
    • Smaller body - the length is more like the GRD III, which is excellent
    • Same battery as before - the weight difference with and without battery is 30g, same as the previous models
    • Touchscreen - changing settings will be even easier, and it has a tempered glass screen
    • New lens - hopefully it's just as sharp while giving us even closer focus distance
    • 14 bit raw DNG files - we get even better colour and tonal gradations
    Yeah, I'm absolutely buying this! :bravo-009:

18. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    They won’t sell. It only has one card slot :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 6
  19. Archiver

Archiver Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm fondling my GRD III and GR in anticipation of the GR III! They are such great cameras. The GRD III was so welded to my habitual shooting that I often had dreams in which I saw something interesting and took a photo with the GRD III. It's the only camera I remember dreaming about, and the dream actions matched exactly how I did things in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.